back up utilities dvd to nas

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Does anyone know the best way to back up utilities like diskwarrior, data rescue II or even os x to a nas so that worse case scenario, if I need to boot from any of these I can just boot off the nas?

I tried to copy the cd's and dvd's several way and I then put them on the nas. When I go into system preferences and select my start up disk they don't show up even if the nas is mounted.

any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    You can't boot from a disk image yet - this is reported to be coming in 10.6.

If you keep a bootable backup drive, you can just install a drive tool or once you boot from it, run the software from the disc.

You can create a bootable backup by cloning your internal drive onto an external using Carbon Copy Cloner. You can probably use a NAS device and netboot but a basic USB drive would be much easier. You can just get a bus-powered one if you don't want cable mess.

To boot from it, hold the alt-key down when the machine starts up and select it from the list.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member
    well, netboot is a feature that uses disk images created with OS X server, so really, you CAN boot from an image over the network, but it requires a Mac with OS X Server, from my understanding.

cloning to a usb or firewire drive would be an option.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member
    actually, Tech Tool Pro kinda supports this with the eDrive I think... check that one out maybe.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I have a 1TB external drive, and I installed the system (10.5.6) on it. It's a nice feeling to be safe...