Airport Extreme BS & Time C Question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I have a technical question related to the AEBS and TC, as I am interested in purchasing one. I have roamed the web and Apple's website, but a few things aren't clear to me and I am hoping that someone who KNOWS can explain it to me.

1.) Mobile Me Sharing

2.) Airport Disk

3.) Automate TM backups

Currents Setup & Needs

Currently I have an external HHD (EHHD) that is physically connected to my Mac via USB. It does not allow (obviuosly) Mobile Me Sharing (i.e. to access the EHHD unless I am physically connected to it), but it lets me perform automated TM backups as well as store files independently of TM (accessible via the finder, such as movies, documents, etc.)

1.) Both the AEBS and TC support this function so no problems.

2.) Update: Found out that AEBS cannot perform automated backups with Time Machine,

3.) TC can perform automated TM backups, but it doesn't state if it has Airport Disk functionality. I.E. the abilty for me to transfer individual files from my Mac to TC for later access, just like I do right now. Is Airport Disk available on the TC?

Just to clarify:

I would like to have either an AEBS+EHDD or a TC that will:

1.) perform automatic TM backups in the background,

2.) Ability to transfer individual files f.ex. in the finder to the device for later access, just like an EHHD.

Thank you!

Jack

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    The time capsule does exactly as you are asking. It does the automated backups wirelessly (or wired) and you can copy/paste, drag/drop files directly to it in the finder window and it stores it on its internal disk drive. So sounds like it will work for you. Also you can connect your external HD to the Time Capsule and can drag and drop to that drive through Finder window as well. I've also read a way on the internet to format your external drive so that it can become part of the space to use for the automated backup. Try searching either apple support forums or maybe even this forum. I think I read about it on either apple support or MacRumors forums.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iextreme View Post

Hi,

I have a technical question related to the AEBS and TC, as I am interested in purchasing one. I have roamed the web and Apple's website, but a few things aren't clear to me and I am hoping that someone who KNOWS can explain it to me.

1.) Mobile Me Sharing

2.) Airport Disk

3.) Automate TM backups

Currents Setup & Needs

Currently I have an external HHD (EHHD) that is physically connected to my Mac via USB. It does not allow (obviuosly) Mobile Me Sharing (i.e. to access the EHHD unless I am physically connected to it), but it lets me perform automated TM backups as well as store files independently of TM (accessible via the finder, such as movies, documents, etc.)

1.) Both the AEBS and TC support this function so no problems.

2.) Update: Found out that AEBS cannot perform automated backups with Time Machine,

3.) TC can perform automated TM backups, but it doesn't state if it has Airport Disk functionality. I.E. the abilty for me to transfer individual files from my Mac to TC for later access, just like I do right now. Is Airport Disk available on the TC?

Just to clarify:

I would like to have either an AEBS+EHDD or a TC that will:

1.) perform automatic TM backups in the background,

2.) Ability to transfer individual files f.ex. in the finder to the device for later access, just like an EHHD.

Thank you!

Jack