iPhone 3.0: 100 new features for users; 1,000 new APIs for devs

Comments

• Reply 81 of 170
    murphstermurphster Posts: 177member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Ah, there we go again with the "European and Japanes phone users are SOOOOO far ahead of US" nonsense.

What they have is unusable phones with tons of useless features that can't be used.

This is just typical european US-envy.

Not nonsense, 100% true. Sorry.

This is has the biggest cause of disagreement on these forums forever probably.

While most of the US posters were proclaiming that the iPhone had broken new ground, was the saviour of the mobile phone, was the greatest device ever etc.. etc.. The rest of the world just said "and?".

All the iPhone really broke new ground on was the fantastic touch interface, that in itself is wonderful and worth buying the phone for. But features? No, nothing new and the iPhone has been nothing more than a crippled version of smartphones that have been out for many years elsewhere.

Nice to see Apple catching up with the rest of the mobile phone world.

It is funny that everyone here said that Apple were changing the rules and would force other manufacturers to follow them. Instead it seems we were right all along and Apple had admitted it got some things wrong. Apple should have paid more attention to the industry that already existed rather than try to re-write the rules.

All good now though, eventually.
  • Reply 82 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iName View Post

I read so many people complaining about the lack of background applications! But can one of you give me at least ONE SIMPLE reason, why we need it?

I (and i think many others to) could give you at least one reason for no background app: battery life!

Many of the business class Unified Communications apps are required to run in the background, these are apps that connect you to your office phone system for presence, messaging and call alerts etc.. presently iPhone is not supported and that means that there are many businesses out there who will not even consider buying an iPhone.
  • Reply 83 of 170
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Perhaps you would agree that Apple 1) knows what it's hardware is capable of, 2) what it's software is capable of, and 3) knows what it's customers are asking for.

Apple responded to the copy and paste issue a while back claiming that it was not high on it's priority list because it had a whole bunch of other features it needed to focus on. Since, Apple has access to the feedback it gets, it knows what changes should take priority. Apple knows if the people complaining about copy and paste are just a handful of users, or are present in significant numbers. If it was a major complaint, Apple would have addressed it earlier.

Apple also has a roadmap detailing the changes it wants to make and when it wants to make them. Changes have to make sense in relation to the whole plan.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

I would agree on that logic if I hadn't seen proof of Apples great recouses. but yes, that is a probable reason, but not an excuse

• Reply 84 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What was that stat I saw last week ...? iPhone users account for 60% or more of smart phones accessing the web while the Blackberry users didn't reach 1%. I'd say iPhone users are too busy to worry about impressing their friends

Blackberry users are too smart to try and surf the web on a phone, they wait until they are in front of a PC.

Blackberrys are not web browsing devices, they are for email, voice and unified communications. They run many apps (even more than one at a time) that access the web such as location based services and unified communications clients. But they are not really aimed at web use unless it is to quickly check out an address to read the news.

Those stats mean nothing at all.
  • Reply 85 of 170
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I gave specific examples of situations where a save would be "long-winded" (I want to say omständig). it wouldnt be a good design to save a position in a movie and even less in a song. and there are many games that don't use the save game-system but rather the checkpoint-system so that you can start again from the highest level you've reached (this is particularly common in smartphone-games that are often designed to kill smaller portions of time then desktop licence games)

What would be wrong about saving your spot in a movie? We do that all the time at home.

You don't really want to go on the net to look something up WHILE you're watching a move, or Tv show, or music video, do you? I would want to stop it, and resume afterwards.

Why would you want to do something else while playing an action game?

A song in the background, yes, I suppose.
  • Reply 86 of 170
    [QUOTE=Murphster;1391824]Blackberry users are too smart to try and surf the web on a phone, they wait until they are in front of a PC.

Many of us on here are former blackberry users. that statement simply has no credibility.
  • Reply 87 of 170
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

So charge a buck for it. Unless, of course, your business model is "First one's free, kid."

Apple has just pulled off a coup here...

At exactly the time that newspapers are boarding up shop, Apple comes out with a model that lets them charge for a subscription to content (and that's not the same as offering subscriptions to a web-based newspaper.)

I can even envision a model for actual reporters (remember them, as opposed to blog-bloviators?) who could syndicate their reporting using this model.

I think that, (not copy/paste) is why apple is up over 4 today.

You're absolutely right... I hadn't made the connection with newspapers and magazines yet. This would be beautiful for publishers. They should be all over this...
  • Reply 88 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

While most of the US posters were proclaiming that the iPhone had broken new ground, was the saviour of the mobile phone, was the greatest device ever etc.. etc.. The rest of the world just said "and?".

All the iPhone really broke new ground on was the fantastic touch interface, that in itself is wonderful and worth buying the phone for. But features? No, nothing new and the iPhone has been nothing more than a crippled version of smartphones that have been out for many years elsewhere.

It is funny that everyone here said that Apple were changing the rules and would force other manufacturers to follow them. Instead it seems we were right all along and Apple had admitted it got some things wrong. Apple should have paid more attention to the industry that already existed rather than try to re-write the rules.

Actually no, you weren't.

All other phone manufacturers are scrambling to catch the iPhone. That's pretty obvious. You should be able to see that fro their newer offerings.

It's the concept of what the iPhone is that's the innovation.

How many other phones offer the experience of the iPhone? Up until now, none.

It's not the number of hard to understand buttons, or level of menu's you have to go through to find a feature you will likely never use that makes a phone sophisticated. It's the overall product. And Apple has it all over the other manufacturers there.

You, and some others criticize Apple for not being willing to add features before they were ready to offer them properly. well, you can see the result on other platforms that have done this. sure, they have had the features, but they suck.

Until the iPhone came out, which other phone could have a complete OS upgrade? None! The best you could hope for was a very minor update fixing a couple of bugs.

Apple is forcing the industry to change this as well. You can thank Apple for not having to buy a new phone every time a desirable new feature is added to the OS.

So Apple is late with some features, but all iPhone users can get those features for free.

Which phone you had ever gave you THAT feature?

I find it amusing that adoption rates of 3G around the world has been really low. Just because people can get it doesn't mean they have. Just because those features were offered doesn't mean they worked well.
  • Reply 89 of 170
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ianwaddell View Post

so does the new software mean i might be able to use a bluetooth keyboard with the iphone?

Or simpler yet, a keyboard with a docking connector.
  • Reply 90 of 170
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Jannard doesn't listen to anyone.

Perhaps... but I have had some conversations with him on DV Info Net... he seemed OK at the time.
  • Reply 91 of 170
    Quote:

Blackberry users are too smart to try and surf the web on a phone, they wait until they are in front of a PC.

Blackberrys are not web browsing devices, they are for email, voice and unified communications. They run many apps (even more than one at a time) that access the web such as location based services and unified communications clients. But they are not really aimed at web use unless it is to quickly check out an address to read the news.

Those stats mean nothing at all.

That's not true either. RIM is desperately trying to capture that market. That's why most of their new phones dropped the easy to type on keyboard. Now, sending e-mails on many newer Blackberry's is difficult. The Storm, for example, has been said to be terrible for e-mail. I've got plenty of reviews of it if you want the links. The same for their other "consumer" phones. RIM no longer knows what they are.

As the iPhone moves into business in a big way, even though Apple wasn't interested in that in the beginning, RIM is trying, not as successfully, to try making it in the consumer market.
  • Reply 92 of 170
    sc54321sc54321 Posts: 54member
    If the 2nd generation iphone can run all the new announcements today in software version 3, then what hardware can we expect in June?
  • Reply 93 of 170
    Quote:

IT'S NOT ABOUT FEATURES!!!

Its about usability of the features that are there.

Give me 10 usable features vs 100 cryptic, buried, non-intercommunicating 'features' any day of the week.

That's EXACTLY what the hub-bub last week about the Japanese actually liking the iPhone was all about.

Test after test that has a person do a variety of tasks (e.g. take a picture and send it to a friend via email) show the iPhone being easier to use.

THAT's the point, not some obligatory feature check-off list.

Geeks care about features... real people care about usability.
  • Reply 94 of 170
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    And here I was about to ask what people could complain about now, but it seems nobody is ever satisfied! Apple has added nearly every feature all of you have been complaining about over the last two years, and I have no doubt in my mind that a few more will be announced once the new hardware comes out. Was the iPhone missing some feature that it needed to have? Yes, but what everyone forgets is that this is the least mature OS in the business right now, and already by 3.0, it is on par with everyone else for most things, and way ahead of everybody on a lot of things, including the web browsing, ease of use, and media integration. Please stop the complaining, at least for one day, and be happy Apple addressed all of the immediate issues we all had with the OS. I for one think this is a MAJOR upgrade, and not just for the copy and paste and MMS. Peer-to-peer via bluetooth and the push notifications have me even more excited than the other two. Great job Apple, no matter what the eternally ungrateful say!
  • Reply 95 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You're absolutely right... I hadn't made the connection with newspapers and magazines yet. This would be beautiful for publishers. They should be all over this...

Well, considering that they let Craig's List eat their lunch and STILL haven't figure out how to put their classifieds on line, I wouldn't count on it.

Its very very sad. (not to mention dangerous for the country, but that's another post.)
  • Reply 96 of 170
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Perhaps you would agree that Apple 1) knows what it's hardware is capable of, 2) what it's software is capable of, and 3) knows what it's customers are asking for.

Apple responded to the copy and paste issue a while back claiming that it was not high on it's priority list because it had a whole bunch of other features it needed to focus on. Since, Apple has access to the feedback it gets, it knows what changes should take priority. Apple knows if the people complaining about copy and paste are just a handful of users, or are present in significant numbers. If it was a major complaint, Apple would have addressed it earlier.

Apple also has a roadmap detailing the changes it wants to make and when it wants to make them. Changes have to make sense in relation to the whole plan.

there is no doubt that Apple _knows_ what the customers want. but they do not always give it to us. for example, they did not give us decent graphic cards in any computer except the high end desktop model until very recently. and they were probably very aware that it bugged all the iMac users that they almost couldn't play games made in the same century

Quote:

What would be wrong about saving your spot in a movie? We do that all the time at home.

You don't really want to go on the net to look something up WHILE you're watching a move, or Tv show, or music video, do you? I would want to stop it, and resume afterwards.

Why would you want to do something else while playing an action game?

A song in the background, yes, I suppose.

no, of course you wouldn't continue to play the movie, you would pause it. But you wouldn't have to save the position and then resume from the position ending up with hundres of different saved positions you aren't going to use again
  • Reply 97 of 170
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Perhaps... but I have had some conversations with him on DV Info Net... he seemed OK at the time.

He's a bit crazy. He made statements that his new vaporware would keep Canon and Nikon up nights, and that he would steal their market for professional cameras.

Now, the RED was, and is, a good, cheap camera.

But the D-SLR market is very far afield from what he's doing, and what he knows.

When he finally showed the CGI pics of the new cameras, which won't be available until late 2009 (hopefully), or mid 2010, they were monstrosities. No D-SLR pro will use them, except for a limited few in the studio. And those will be who, exactly? $20,000 for a camera that offers nothing better than the IQ of the top Canon or Nikon at 2.5 times the price?

Mid format price range with a far worse IQ.

And ergonomics? None!

Bah!

When I asked him a question about how he thought he would compete with these Canon and Nikon models, be became verbally violent.

The people on his forums are also vastly worse than the average Apple fanboy. They support every comment he makes, as from god. Talk about reality distortion fields!
  • Reply 98 of 170
    Quote:

no, of course you wouldn't continue to play the movie, you would pause it. But you wouldn't have to save the position and then resume from the position ending up with hundres of different saved positions you aren't going to use again

I don't see the problem. The program would save the last state when it turns off. When you open it again, it resumes where you left off. Why would it need to save "hundreds of different positions...".

I don't see this as being any different as any game which does that very thing, or book.
  • Reply 99 of 170
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

I was really hoping that the announcement of copy/paste and MMS would STOP people from complaining about these features not existing.

(features that I personally haven't missed one bit in two years of use)

Well said. There's a whole class of people who move from thing to complain about to thing to complain about. The copy/paste hoards will certainly find another cause now.

While found it curious Copy/Paste wasn't included from day 1, I also found it irrelevant. It literally hasn't come up in the 1.5 years of ownership that I've wanted to copy/paste.

MMS sounds kind of neat, actually. It's one step more immediate than emailing a photo.
  • Reply 100 of 170
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Quote:

I don't see the problem. The program would save the last state when it turns off. When you open it again, it resumes where you left off. Why would it need to save "hundreds of different positions...".

I don't see this as being any different as any game which does that very thing, or book.

if every app saved it's temporary state when you closed it, you would have the next best thing to actual parallel processing. it would be slower and use the hard drive as temporary state saving space.. but it wouldn't require the iPhone to have more RAM or CPU