Help installing individual applications off Mac Restore CDs

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I just purchased an iBook 800, and unlike previous macs, it does not ship with an "Applications" CD. To install Appleworks, for example, I have to install an entire package of apps from the system restore CD, and I cannot even install a single app. And as I don't use Quicken, faxstf, etc., this is quite annoying. So, I was wondering if there was a way to install Appleworks from the CD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Jennings

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    From kbase article 106451:

[quote]

If you need an item that is only available from the Restore CD set, you may install it without erasing the hard disk by following these steps:

1. Ensure there is approximately 2 GB of free hard disk space on your computer.

2. Make a new folder.

3. Insert the Software Restore discs one by one and copy the disk image (.dmg) files in the Configurations folder from each disc to the folder you created on the hard disk. There may be up to five images depending on the restore set.

4. Open the Disk Copy application program.

5. Drag the first .dmg file from the folder you created to the Disk Copy window. The disk image appears as a hard disk on the desktop. This disk image volume contains all the software that your computer did when it was first purchased.

6. Open the disk image volume and locate the software you want to reinstall.

7. Copy the software from the disk image volume to the hard disk.

8. If you are using Mac OS X, use the Repair Privileges Utility.

<hr></blockquote>

HTH.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Thanks for the reply. I still need help however. It looks like the Knowledge Base article you sent me to is related to restore CDs that existed prior to 10.2.

See:

<a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106451&amp;SaveKCWindowURL=http: %2F%2Fkbase.info.apple.com%2Fcgi-bin%2FWebObjects%2Fkbase.woa%2Fwa%2FSaveKCToHomePa ge&searchMode=Assisted&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com &showButton=false&randomValue=100&showSurvey=false &sessionID=anonymous|158480565" target="_blank">Here</a>

And I cannot find a "Configurations folder" on the CD. When I open the folder I only find a "Read before..."pdf file and a SoftwareRestore.pkg. Do I need some special software to find the Configurations folder?

Thanks agian for any help.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Use <a href="http://www.charlessoft.com/"; target="_blank">Pacifist</a> to extract the applications or their individual installers from the install CD.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    OK, I downloaded Pacifist, and I cannot find individual installers . . . now, I copied the whole 1st disk to my hard drive, and while copying I could see that there was an AppleWorks installer. But, when I open the folder with Pacifist it doesn't appear. I still only see the .pdf file and the installer .pkg.

A questions comes to mind: why the hell would Apple care if I installed only one of the five apps?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]But, when I open the folder with Pacifist it doesn't appear. I still only see the .pdf file and the installer .pkg.<hr></blockquote>

Open Pacifist, click "Open Package" and navigate to SoftwareRestore.pkg, and click Open. You'll see this:

I just did this with my PowerMac, so things are going to be slightly different - apps, etc. I ended up with this, and made my way down to Software Restore.app in the Utilities folder:

Select it, extract it to your desktop, and you'll end up with a Software Restore icon on the desktop. It gives you this:

I did it to get iDVD back on my machine after reinstalling OSX with only the X disks. I didn't want OS9 on my machine at all. I don't know how the iBook CDs are laid out exactly, but on mine here, they're grouped - here are the applications that aren't installed when installing OSX by itself (not using the restore CDs, but just using the OSX install CDs):

If I wanted JUST GraphicConverter for example, I'm stuck installing all of those apps. I guess I could delete the ones I didn't want easily enough though, so that's not really a big deal.

BTW, this isn't a thread for General Discussion - I was deciding between Genius Bar and OSX, but since this may turn into an "OSX installations suck" kind of thing, I'll toss it into Brad's yard.

• Reply 6 of 8
    Thanks for the replies. However, the method Murbot suggested is what I wanted to avoid. I wanted to install just one app of the application group. Over at macnn I recieved the following advice which works very well.

"Originally posted by asxless:

You can get to all of the 'images' on a restore CD by mounting the CD, opening its main window, using the Finder's menu "Go to Folder..." and typing .images

You can then mount any of the .dmg files to see their contents. Note: Some of the dmg files contain installers but most just contain the application as it would appear if it were installed and any library components, etc.

asxless in iLand"

Here's what you should see:

[ 11-25-2002: Message edited by: jaske ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 8
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Cool, I didn't know that! Thanks for posting.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    No problem . . . I wish Apple gave an option. the problem with this method is that you have to put system files in their correct location (because Appleworks is not an installer) and you then have to delete all the useless templates, etc (because it's a full install).

-Jennings