2.4 Ghz Mac mini when?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Really strange that after 2 years the mac mini is still at the same speed. Does the Intel roadmap shed any light on when the next mac mini speed bump will happen?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the_steve View Post

Really strange that after 2 years the mac mini is still at the same speed. Does the Intel roadmap shed any light on when the next mac mini speed bump will happen?

Thought the new mini was faster than the old one anyway...

Its not all about Ghz.. I believe that the cpu in the new mini is faster all be it at the same GHz

chipset and GPU have made improvements in speed also...

can anyone tell us if the CPU in the new mini is in a socket or welded to the board ????
  • Reply 2 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    The CPU in the mini is no faster itself that the old one. The improvements you get are in RAM speed, new graphics chip and a faster HD. Other than that the mini just keeps up for very general computer use (web, email, itunes, iPhoto, iWork/Office, etc.).
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    The CPU is clocked the same, but I believe it has more performance. Despite the lower amount of cache (3MB vs 4MB), its architecture is newer, more efficient, and on a 45nm process with a TDP of 25W vs 35W.

MacWorld magazine benchmarks:

FWIW, the current White MacBook (2.00GHz, nvidia) scores 186.

You also can get the Mac mini with a 2.26GHz CPU ($150 BTO option) if you want a faster machine. I would have hoped that Apple would offer the 2.40GHz model (like the MB) for that price, tho...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

They could put in the same chips as the Macbook Pro later this year but I don't see an update before next year.

Intel are skipping the next 45nm mobile chips and going for 32nm next year.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I say a bit because I believe that the current Mini is an excellent upgrade over the old one. Could Apple have done better - they could have no doubt but for what ever reason decided not to.

Quote:

Really strange that after 2 years the mac mini is still at the same speed.

Yeah it is the same speed but the chip set (Nvidia) works to help improve overall performance. It is not ideal but Apple decided it didn't want to offer something better.

Quote:

Does the Intel roadmap shed any light on when the next mac mini speed bump will happen?

Well this is what hurts, it isn't Intel that is screwing the pooch here but rather Apple itself. For what ever reason Apple decided to release iMacs with out any significant increase in CPU power, this means Mini gets screwed because Apple sees it as a model beneath the iMac. The Mini could easily take a faster CPU just like are installed in the portables and iMacs. The Mini could be easily running a faster CPU today, all Apple needs to do is to solder it in place. So I might suggest that you voice your displeasure with the artifical restrictions on Mini performance with Apple as they have options here they decided not to exercise.

As a side note a 2 GHz Mini as a base line machine is not a problem. The problem is the next model up is not significantly faster. What Apple should have done was to offer a 2 and a 2.6 GHz model. This would have produced a nice performance spread and make the upgrade more worthwhile.

In anyevent do realize that this years Mini is a significant improvement over last years. Yeah the lack of a CPU speed boost does suck, but the rest of the system is significantly better. Thankfully I don't need a desk top right away so I don't need to worry about paying for an expensive Mac with a dated processor.

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

The CPU is clocked the same, but I believe it has more performance. Despite the lower amount of cache (3MB vs 4MB), its architecture is newer, more efficient, and on a 45nm process with a TDP of 25W vs 35W.

Inside it is still Penryn! I believe much of the reason the new chip performs better is due to external factors such as the faster bus speed and just about everthing else being faster component wise.

Quote:

FWIW, the current White MacBook (2.00GHz, nvidia) scores 186.

You also can get the Mac mini with a 2.26GHz CPU ($150 BTO option) if you want a faster machine. I would have hoped that Apple would offer the 2.40GHz model (like the MB) for that price, tho...

Personally I would have liked to seen the 2.6 GHz unit in the top end or BTO model. That would certainly offer enough performance to be a clear advantage over the base unit.

The sad part here is that Apple seems to be determined to keep the Mini down. It really doesn't compete with the iMac so I don't know what the problem is. Further they must have good margins on the thing considering it is a notebook without a screen. It really seems like poor product positioning to me.

Dave.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    jota73jota73 Posts: 1member
    do you thinkg is worht buying it as a second mac??
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jota73 View Post

do you thinkg is worht buying it as a second mac??

I really can't answer that for you as it is a personal decision based on your needs. That being said I see the Mini as the machine that got the best update during the last round of updates. It is a machine offering Mac Book type performance, so if that is good enough for you then you should be all set. For some things like video playback the new Mini ought to be a lot better than the old one.

As a second computer it should be OK. The lack of CPU performance though indicates a poor investment for a primary machine where longevity is important.

Frankly I wouldn't jump on any Apple hardware right now if I didn't need the machine badly. Rather I would stick it out until Snow Leopards release. This for a couple of reasons. One is that they might bump some of their desktop machines when Snow Leopard debuts. Second you are going to want to know how Snow Leopard performs on the machine. Lastly Intel might have new chips out by then that would permit a bump of the iMac, bump the iMac and it is likely the Mini will get bumped.

Dave