Too big for college? Advice wanted.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey yall,

Is a 17" MacBook Pro too big for college? I really like the fact that the battery in the 17" model has a longer battery life and life-span, but I'm a little worried it will be too big and unwieldily for college. Anybody have experience or advice?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    wolf_00wolf_00 Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Hey yall,

Is a 17" MacBook Pro too big for college? I really like the fact that the battery in the 17" model has a longer battery life and life-span, but I'm a little worried it will be too big and unwieldily for college. Anybody have experience or advice?

For me; I have 17" MBP, I bought it for the college, actually it is not big for the college, but it is hard to travel while you are carrying it for long distance and carrying books & folders at the same time. other than that nothing you should worry about it.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Hey yall,

It's bigger and doesn't fit that well on those tiny folding table things on the seats in lecture halls.

This is my recommendation:

15" 2.4Ghz MBP $1,999

27" Dell Ultrasharp 2707WFP $499 (refurb).

10" Netbook of your choice. $300 (or a PS3 or 360...)

Total: $2,798 - edu discount

vs

17" MBP $2,799 - edu discount

I have the 1 gen 17" MBP and sometimes the 17" is nice (in a hotel room). Sometimes it a real pain in the back lugging the damn thing around when I'm going to hook it up to a larger display anyway (home and work).

If I had to do again, I'd get the 15" and live with a smaller display when on travel.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    I have a Cinema Display, but I don't know if it's practical to bring to college... my guess is it would just take space on my desk, and I'm guessing most of the time I would use my laptop wouldn't be in my dorm room. Maybe I'll get the 15" with an extra battery. I really do like the idea that the battery lasts for 1000 charge cycles though. It's really not so much the battery life that I like as the lifespan.