BIND 9.2.1 installation

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Well, after the BIND update came out the other day and I saw that it was version 8.3.4 (or whatever, it wasn't 9.x) I decided to install the latest version of BIND.

How did I do it?

1) Make sure you have the developers tools installed.

2) Download the <a href="http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind9.html"; target="_blank">source</a> to a good place. I downloaded it to ~/src

3) Unstuff the source (I was lazy and used Stuffit Expander, so sue me).

4) Open up terminal and go to the newly created directory. (should be something like ~/src/bind9-2-1)

5) Type './configure' (Don't type the ')

6) Wait

7) When you get the prompt back, type in 'make'

8) Wait even longer.

9) When you get the prompt back, type in 'sudo make install' When asked for the PW, type in your PW.

10) Voila! BIND 9.2.1 is installed! It won't work, however, since the script for starting named looks to /usr/sbin and you've just put the new version in /usr/local/sbin.

11) sudo mv /usr/sbin/named /usr/sbin/named-8.3.4

12) sudo ln /usr/local/sbin/named /usr/sbin/named

13) There's some configuration that still needs to be done. However, I was just letting you all know how to install it, not use it.

14) Yeah! You're done. OK, not really. If you know how to setup and configure named, then you're golden. If you don't, go pickup "DNS and BIND" 4th Edition from O'Reilly and Associates. It's a great book.

--Mike

[ 11-25-2002: Message edited by: mjpaci ]</p>