Leopard is Slow Firing up & Shutting Down

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I finally upgraded to Leopard on my 4x2.5 GHz PowerPC G5, with 2GB DDR2 SDRAM.

I'm beginning to wish I'd left well enough alone. But I wanted to install another drive and dedicate Time Machine to it.

I can't believe how slow Leopard is to fire up - and flashes screens at me when doing so...one of which is a blue screen. It finally settles into business and lets me work.

Even worse than that, it takes FOREVER to shut down. It was never this slow shutting down before I installed Leopard (at times close to a minute & that's with all programs closed. I noticed it immediately after the installation. My hard drive has a capacity of 465 GB with 233 available, so I do not believe it's from the hard drive being too full.

Any ideas? Anything you can think of for me to try? At this point, I wish I could go back to Tiger.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    blairpblairp Posts: 1member
    I had the same problems when I moved to Leopard on my dual G5. First, I restored Tiger 10.4 with Superduper and did an archive & install back to 10.5. Also removed and upgraded third-party add-ons. A few caused me some problems. Most likely, something in your user startup could be causing problems also. I also installed the new version of Applejack and ran it for good measure. I finally got everything up to snuff after a bit of tinkering. One thing I did notice, Leopard uses a bit more memory than Tiger. I added two more GB of ram to give myself a little more head room.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Thanks, blairp, for the info. Never heard of Superduper(?) so will have to ask Google about that. I don't reallly have that many 3rd party add-ons. Although I'm a photographer and use Photoshop CS3 & Bridge CS3 daily.

I don't know what Applejack is either, so will check that out. I guess I could add more memory, but even photoshop was running fine before the upgrade. Actually, it does pretty good too, now...but it's just that I know this thing should fire up and down faster than it is. I see two or three blank, blue screens flash at me during startup and it takes a good 30-40 long seconds to shut down...up to a minute sometimes.

The new iMac I got my other half for Christmas has Leopard on it and it shuts down in a flash. Of course there's not as much happening on his machine.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll check on those two programs you mentioned.

-Lela

that_owl