uninstall programs

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am new to mac os x. I wanted to get rid of some programs i installed so I dragged the program folder to the trash can. But today I realized that you can uninstall them by using the installer. is there away I can get these programs back so i can uninstall them correctly?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Man 020581:

<strong>But today I realized that you can uninstall them by using the installer.</strong><hr></blockquote>Are you sure? What programs are you referring to?

99% of the software on Mac OS and Mac OS X is uninstalled by a simple drag-and-drop into the Trash. In fact, the *only* software I can think of off the top of my head that actually requires an uninstaller is Maya.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I installed Nikon View 5 for my digital camera and the software installed all of these compoments in Display section in the System Prefs under Display Profile: Nikon Adobe RGB 4.0.0.3000 and then there are 9 others that all start with Nikon. I want these gone(right?), they are slowing up the start up, I don't need them, since I uninstalled View 5 and am using iPhoto.

[ 11-27-2002: Message edited by: Mac Man 020581 ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    is there a way to remove things from the Display Profile.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    You can remove anything.

First thing you can try: select the file you want to delete, do 'get info', then open 'owner & permissions' tab, and there you should make yourself responsible for read & write. Then try to trash it.

If not, open Terminal.app, type 'sudo rm ' (without quotes) and then drag the file on the terminal window.

It will ask you for a password and it will be deleted. (if you are an admin of your comp).
  • Reply 5 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    If you want to 'get the program back' so you can be sure it uninstalls correctly, why not just re-run the installer, then uninstall? Seems simplest.

BTW, those 'Display Profiles' aren't slowing down your startup at all. They aren't loaded into memory or anything during startup. Those are just color calibration files to let the OS know how to tweak colors in images before sending it to the screen, based on the source (in your case, your Nikon). They're only accessed when an image needs to be displayed to a newly acquired display device. After the first one, they're cached.

Honestly, I wouldn't be worried about them from a performance standpoint, but I understand wanting to declutter your system.

Just re-run the installer, then uninstall. Voila.

[ 11-28-2002: Message edited by: Kickaha ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>BTW, those 'Display Profiles' aren't slowing down your startup at all. They aren't loaded into memory or anything during startup. Those are just color calibration files to let the OS know how to tweak colors in images before sending it to the screen, based on the source (in your case, your Nikon). They're only accessed when an image needs to be displayed to a newly acquired display device. After the first one, they're cached.

[ 11-28-2002: Message edited by: Kickaha ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I disagree, ever since I installed the Nikon Camera and it puts those nine things in the display profile, when I boot up with the display on the apple bar next to the clock the clocks seconds hangs for 20 seconds at one number than jumps ahead. But if i remove the display from the Apple bar and boot up the clock doesn't hang at all but keeps going on as normal. I don't like the clock hang. What could be the problem, the clock's seconds hangin' when display is on apple bar?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    *NO* idea, if I'm reading you correctly.

Sounds like the Displays Menu is tweaking out... but regardless, it shouldn't have anything to do with what happens at boot time.

In any case, just do like I suggested, and re-install, then un-install. Done.