Skype for iPhone to hit the App Store on Tuesday

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Skype, the Internet phone division of e-commerce giant eBay, has confirmed plans to introduce a version of its Internet telephony software for Apple's iPhone and iPod touch users on Tuesday.

The free application, which will be available for download from the App Store, will let users place phones calls to other Skype users on computers or supported mobile phones at no charge. An option to place calls to traditional telephone landlines will also be available for about 2.1 cents per minute, according to the Wall Street Journal.

A clause in Apple's terms of service for software distributed through the App Store prohibits VoIP-based applications like Skype from transmitting data over 3G networks belonging to carriers, meaning the software will only operate when users are connected to a WiFi hotspot.

Both the original iPhone and iPhone 3G will be supported out of the box, as will the second-generation iPod touch which launched last September. The original iPod touch will need access to a third-party microphone accessory for full functionality since it does not include a built-in microphone.

On the iPhone, the Skype application will provide direct access to a user's existing Address Book, meaning users won't have to duplicate their contact lists, according to the Associated Press.

Speaking before the CTIA annual mobile conference in Las Vegas this week, Skype chief operating Oofficer Scott Durchslag said his firm is answering the pleas of customers who've resounded in their calls for Skype to make its way to the Apple handset.

"The No. 1 request we get from customers is to make Skype available on iPhone," he said. "There's a pent-up demand." Durchslag added that a version of Skype for the iPhone with video features is also under consideration, though concerns over user interaction with other applications on the handset remain.

"We're considering video carefully but we have a really high bar on the quality," he said. "If we do it we will have to do it incredibly well."

Meanwhile, CNet News.com sat down with Skype's principal iPhone engineer ahead of CTIA this week for a first-hand preview of the application, which reportedly "looks more like your traditional iPhone app than it does Skype 4.0 for Windows."

In general, the publication found the software to be well organized, with additional support for text chat features, joining conference calls, and taking photo snapshots that can be used to create avatar images.

Some of the features that didn't make the inagural version of the software reportedly include SMS, setting up a conference calling group, purchasing SkypeOut credit directly, and file transfers.

Update: The Skype application is now available for download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    It is about time. I don't plan to use the phone part too much with my iPod Touch, but if I can chat via Skype on my iPod then I will be very happy.
  • Reply 2 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A clause in Apple's terms of service for software distributed through the App Store prohibits VoIP-based applications like Skype from transmitting data over 3G networks belonging to carriers, meaning the software will only operate when users are connected to a WiFi hotspot.

This also excludes EDGE usage. In other words, any cellular data network. However, there was a way to bypass this by manually putting in your cellular data IP address in an ad-hoc network setup to trick the iPhone firmware into thinking it was on WiFi. I'm not sure if this was patched with v2.0, but it worked in v1.x.

PS: To the people that just want something to complain about: We know about Fringe's ability to connect to your Skype and how WinMo has had Skype support for some time now.
  • Reply 3 of 74
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: To the people that just want something to complain about: We know about Fringe's ability to connect to your Skype

My problem with Fring was the abominable sound quality, people could hardly recognize my voice and kept asking, who is this calling (+90% of the time, the call would drop out after a few seconds).

Nimbuzz ($1) however worked fine for me. A true Skype app is still welcome (not least I would not have to entrust my Skype password to a third-party anymore).
  • Reply 4 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

My problem with Fring was the abominable sound quality, people could hardly recognize my voice and kept asking, who is this calling (+90% of the time, the call would drop out after a few seconds).

Nimbuzz ($1) however worked fine for me. A true Skype app is still welcome (not least I would not have to entrust my Skype password to a third-party anymore).

Not that I used it much as I mostly maintain Skype for when I need to call abroad from countries where getting disposable GSM SIMs isn't possible or to use my Skype In number on anything that isn't personal, but I don't recall any such problems with Fringe. Never tried Nimbuzz.

The 3rd-party maintenance of your password is the biggest issue.
  • Reply 5 of 74
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I'm in Australia, it's Tuesday, I just downloaded it and the test call works well.

Gotta love the international date line.
  • Reply 6 of 74
    jxtjxt Posts: 1member
    Video, you say? And just how is that suppose to happen on an iPhone that doesn't have a video camera? Hmmm... Maybe Skype knows something we don't...
  • Reply 7 of 74
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: To the people that just want something to complain about: We know about Fringe's ability to connect to your Skype and how WinMo has had Skype support for some time now.

I know you like to complain about the complainers and try to preempt them but they actually provide you with many topics for you to defend and rail against. So stop complaining!
  • Reply 8 of 74
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I'm in Australia, it's Tuesday, I just downloaded it and the test call works well.

Gotta love the international date line.

Aussie land is looking better and better all the time!
  • Reply 9 of 74
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    Besides Fring, there is also Truphone... so skype is pretty late entering its own arena...!
  • Reply 10 of 74
    arteckxarteckx Posts: 39member
    I think I'll like this. Although on the desktop, I almost always like the 3rd party clients, on the phone side, I think the 1st party clients work best.
  • Reply 11 of 74
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Well I have totally swtiched to Truphone, though if Skype allows you to Skype out without needing wifi (truphone offers this) then I could be tempted to switch back.
  • Reply 12 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palex9 View Post

Aussie land is looking better and better all the time!

Yeah, how's it going up their?
  • Reply 13 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jxt View Post

Video, you say? And just how is that suppose to happen on an iPhone that doesn't have a video camera? Hmmm... Maybe Skype knows something we don't...

Come June, I'd assume things will be changing quite a bit for iPhoners
  • Reply 14 of 74
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

An option to place calls to traditional telephone landlines will also be available for about 2.1 cents per minute

Are they kidding? I have Skype Unlimited on my computer, and they still want to charge me for calls to regular phones? Sorry, that's a dealbreaker.
  • Reply 15 of 74
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palex9 View Post

Besides Fring, there is also Truphone... so skype is pretty late entering its own arena...!

I find both Fring and Truphone to be pretty weak apps. Hopefully Skype's app will allow me to finally delete those two.
  • Reply 16 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jxt View Post

Welcome to 2007! The camera on the iPhone should be able to record video now. It captures digital images. It's the software that's lacking. Do you know how many phones with lesser quality cameras have been recording video already? Open your eyes.
  • Reply 17 of 74
    It's nice to have a decent APP from the CRAP store for once.
  • Reply 18 of 74
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meeksdigital View Post

Come June, I'd assume things will be changing quite a bit for iPhoners

Read: the camera will be facing the user on the next release. (or if not, the next next release)
  • Reply 19 of 74
    yvo84yvo84 Posts: 84member
    Australian here.

I can confirm Skype will not work over 3g. The message reads:

"Skype calls over 3G networks are currently not supported due to restrictions that may be placed on your data plan. For more information contact www.skype.com."

Which is BS, cause i'm paying $20 for a gig of data. But hey, it's obviously a generic message.
  • Reply 20 of 74
    murphstermurphster Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Both the original iPhone and iPhone 3G will be supported out of the box, as will the second-generation iPod touch which launched last September. The original iPod touch will need access to a third-party microphone accessory for full functionality since it does not include a built-in microphone.

So the 2nd generation iPod Touch has a built-in microphone? I don't think so. Don't you mean the iPod touch second-generation ipod is supported with an external microphone accessory?