OT: HD tv 4 sports and good SD picture?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
have been looking at sameung LCD touch of color. Dropped from $1500 to $1140 on Amazon.

Was told plasma is the way to go for sports but am conerned about channels that are SD still and want to know who has what and how SD looks ?

Have charter right now. Really good deal, free premiums, HD and more starting tomorrow HD.

Will probable get Direct simply foe NESN channel and MLB in HD. Cable has but not in HD.

Channels we watch. Fox news, CNN, MSNBC, TrutV, discover, FX, MLB extra innings, NFL, SciFi, Bravo, ESPN et-cetera.

Will get xbox or ps3 in a few month. Fav games are first person shooters, unreal, doom and silly mario driving games for wife and friends. Looking for a great tv for sports HD and good SD picture. Thing that worries me about Direct is slow browsing of channels. Dish had good searching. Cable while free HD is limited, most of our channels, but terrible search, inability to pause one channel while watching another. Surly someone has been down this road before.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

have been looking at sameung LCD touch of color. ...

Sameung?

At any rate, plasma is just about dead. Those that remain on the market will not remain long because concerns about energy consumption and environmental issues.

The latest thing is 1080p LCD with LED backlighting. They are also more expensive than regular LCD sets. However, LED backlit LCD models will supplant the older LCD sets because they use less energy and are more environmentally friendly.

SD is simply not an issue. The quality of SD display is at least as good and usually better than analog TV.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    I know I'm hittling this a little late, forgive me if you have purchased already, but do you need to hang it on a wall? From what I understand, the DLP TVs are fast (good for sports), look great and are cheeper than LCD or plasma. The big downfall is that they are 10 to 12 inches deep, or so. Still, that is not bad unless you want to hang it on a wall...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I have Plasma and I love it. I wouldn't hesitate to get a plasma set if the price was right.

Personally I would pay a premium for plasma over LCD, except the LED BL sets which I've not seen. I think colors have way more 'pop' with plasma over LCD but this is subjective.

BTW I have a Samsung Plasma set.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mbmcavoymbmcavoy Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

At any rate, plasma is just about dead. Those that remain on the market will not remain long because concerns about energy consumption and environmental issues.

Actually the primary issue is that manufacturers can now make large LCDs for way cheaper than a plasma. This means an LCD TV can undercut a Plasma competitor's price, and make more profit at the same time. As the beancounters make most business decisions, and LCDs satisfy the everage consumer, most manufacturers are switching to LCD technology. The manufacturers are there to make money, not TVs. Plasma will stick around for the time being, for the people who really care about their picture.

Plasmas have come a long way since the early days, but long-term burn-in can be an issue. If you intend to use it as a computer monitor, buy LCD. If you want a decent but cheap TV, you have many LCDs to buy from. If you want a *really* good TV, buy a 1080p plasma.

Last month I bought a Samsung PN50A550, 50" 1080p Plasma. Top-rated model, found at Video Only for $1300. It does a good job with SD, expecially considering the size. It works beautifully with my XBox 360 - including streaming Netflix. Blu-Ray looks simply stunning.

BTW, I am pretty happy with Dish Network and their ViP622 DVR. My only real complaint is that they don't carry Speed HD yet...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbmcavoy View Post

Actually the primary issue is that manufacturers can now make large LCDs for way cheaper than a plasma.

Do you have any documentation to support this contention or is it pure speculation?

Quote:

Plasmas have come a long way since the early days, but long-term burn-in can be an issue. If you intend to use it as a computer monitor, buy LCD. If you want a decent but cheap TV, you have many LCDs to buy from. If you want a *really* good TV, buy a 1080p plasma.

Plasmas have seen some resolution bumps over the last year or so, but not enough to stem their long-term decline.

Quote:

Last month I bought a Samsung PN50A550, 50" 1080p Plasma. Top-rated model, found at Video Only for $1300. ...

You contradict yourself. Your plasma screen is cheaper than an LCD HDTV for at least one of two reasons:
    • Plasma is cheaper to produce.

• Plasma has lower consumer demand.

BTW, DLP TVs have suddenly hit a major bump and is losing out in favor of very large screen LCD TVs.

We know that one of these conditions applies. I would argue that they both apply.