Wireless airport card very weak

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i'm wondering if its my airport card or if its just normal or my airport card is dying or something, its an airport extreme in my powerbook g4 12", and my brother with his macbook in the same location gets full bars where i get one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member
    what OS & how long since it was installed? ever had the machine apart for service?

one of the antennas may have broken loose, so that could explain the weak signal.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmac1036 View Post

what OS & how long since it was installed? ever had the machine apart for service?

one of the antennas may have broken loose, so that could explain the weak signal.

WEll i checked all that put the antenna in, and stuff put it back in still really sucks, its horrible under tiger and leopard and i assume it wasnt out since april of 2005 when it was built, so i dont know i put it in my 2004 eMac and it seems to still have a weak signal where my friend with his ibook will come over and its full.

How about a wireless N usb dongle, ive been thinking about one of those and put an extender so it doesnt stick out of the laptop.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member
    I was refering to the leads that snake up thru the body & hinge as they move everytime you close / open the screen. but if it's not working well in another mac, then likely looking at needing the card like you said.

quickertek makes them especially for macs, but they aren't cheap. but the apple G cards can only be found used new I think. But netgear has them now too that are os x compatible.

Good luck!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    I've got the same Powerbook G4 12" ( a little older model) and I've noticed the same thing. As far as I can tell though it hasn't gotten any worse over time, it's always been like that. So I think it's just the design of the laptop or the card, and not something that's going bad.