Snow Leopard Help ...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've been floating around this forum for ages, and still don't really understand the whole excitement about snow leopard. and was also wondering, do you think my mac will be compatible with SL, so much so that it will reap some benfits from it?

i have an early 2006 macbook pro 15.4".

MacBook Pro 15"

Intel Core Duo

1.83 GHz

Number Of Processorst1

Total Number Of Corest2

L2 Cachet2 MB

Memoryt2 GB

Bus Speedt667 MHz

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Well, seeing its a core duo, it might or it might not, no one is sure if it has core duo support or not since its 32bit and everyones expecting a 64bit os. But my brother got a developers copy and installed it on his Core duo macbook, but thats develping stages so that means nothing, it might not be. And what snow leopard is pretty much, more stable.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Thanks, it's actualy my brithers laptop, but he is getting a 17" so he's giving me his old one for free. As it might have benefits, is there anything that will not work, like certain applications? I'll be wanting to use some programs like formZ and archiCAD for architecture. If these don't work I think my parents have agreed to get an iMac. But I'd rather not spend that much moneyccurrently. Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Some programs won't work if they are compiled as 64-bit only. The Core Duo chips are 32-bit. One application that I know of is Houdini, which recently came out for the Mac. It is 64-bit only and doesn't run on 32-bit Macs.

Most programs should support 32-bit. I wouldn't expect developers to suddenly make 64-bit only apps. The Core 2 Duo chips are only 3 years old. Typically developers will support hardware further back than 3 years.

You may not see much benefit from OpenCL though. The X1600 graphics card isn't listed as compatible with AMD's stream SDK but I'd wait to see what you're missing if anything before making buying decisions. For the time being, the machine should be capable enough for what you need.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    yeah, i was hoping that it would be sufficient, as i am not big into my video editing/encoding etc. although i can only presume something like formZ would be a very intense program to run.

its a pity that this mac is one of very few in which the processor can't be upgraded. as it is soldered in.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Well it's still a nice computer to get for free, so id take it and you know who the first owner is so you know what happened to it and whats be done, id love to have a intel machine again.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomasthetug View Post

Well it's still a nice computer to get for free, so id take it and you know who the first owner is so you know what happened to it and whats be done, id love to have a intel machine again.

well said. it is free. i doubt my brother will hand it over with a lot of comfort though, as two years ago i spilled milk over it. thats been its only misfortune, other than that, its quite a nice runner, excluding several major fan/hd issues it is being fixed for as we speak.

i love macs so much, i have an ancient PC and it slowly eats away at my soul, as if my soul were the cheese, being gnawed at by a huge, slow, ugly rat.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r.kirkerrr View Post

well said. it is free. i doubt my brother will hand it over with a lot of comfort though, as two years ago i spilled milk over it. thats been its only misfortune, other than that, its quite a nice runner, excluding several major fan/hd issues it is being fixed for as we speak.

i love macs so much, i have an ancient PC and it slowly eats away at my soul, as if my soul were the cheese, being gnawed at by a huge, slow, ugly rat.

Yeah pretty much anything from 2006 till mid 07 had majour problems, or quite a bit, hopefully if it keeps on breaking and its on apple care then they might replace you with a new mbp, otherwise have fun with that.

and no one likes ugly slow Newyork city rats.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomasthetug View Post

Yeah pretty much anything from 2006 till mid 07 had majour problems, or quite a bit, hopefully if it keeps on breaking and its on apple care then they might replace you with a new mbp, otherwise have fun with that.

and no one likes ugly slow Newyork city rats.

Would they replace it with a new model after a few more problems? I have like 3 months left in the AppleCare I think. Should be interesting to see what they say.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r.kirkerrr View Post

Would they replace it with a new model after a few more problems? I have like 3 months left in the AppleCare I think. Should be interesting to see what they say.

Im not sure how many repairs have you already had, one friend had his core duo imac replaced with a new aluminum one but that was After ALOT of hd, fan and motherboard replacements, but another friend his sister got hers replaced after 2 hd failure with a new aluminum one and she also had a CD or early C2D, i guess it all depends who your seeing to get it fixed?, mind you we dont have a apple store yet, in my location there hiring so hopefully (even tho i wont go to it), and yeah.