Just sold my white macbook.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm looking to get a new Aluminum MacBook here shortly.

Though I do have a few questions. I'm really debating between the 13" and 15" pro. I want the better graphics and my decision to improve the graphics on my laptop and not my Windows desktop (which had nVidia 8400) for my gaming needs.



1) I generally play games like SimCity 4 and the upcoming CitiesXL. So do you think its worth it getting the 15" for city building games? SimCity was essentially 2D, though CitiesXL will be 3D though I managed to play 3D games like RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 on my White Macbook with decent settings.



2) Should I wait until a major refresh in October? Is there ever a chance for Blu-ray coming to a Mac? While I understand iTunesHD... unfortunately my tastes require me to import Blu-rays such as the new KylieX2008 region free in Blu-ray.



Is there anything else I should note... I'm really torn between the two.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,209moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post


    1) I generally play games like SimCity 4 and the upcoming CitiesXL. So do you think its worth it getting the 15" for city building games? SimCity was essentially 2D, though CitiesXL will be 3D though I managed to play 3D games like RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 on my White Macbook with decent settings.



    If you could play it ok on the old Macbook, those games will go up to maximum on the new one. The new one plays Bioshock at full quality (800x600).



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post


    2) Should I wait until a major refresh in October? Is there ever a chance for Blu-ray coming to a Mac? While I understand iTunesHD... unfortunately my tastes require me to import Blu-rays such as the new KylieX2008 region free in Blu-ray.



    I think it will come eventually but if Apple still have hang-ups about the DRM then I can see them holding off for a while yet. They will add the cost directly to the consumer and it won't be cheap.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post


    Is there anything else I should note... I'm really torn between the two.



    IMO, it more or less comes down to firewire 800 and screen resolution. The graphics card for the games you are running will make little difference as the 9400M and 9600M GT will both max out the games. You can get a large 20" or bigger external with the savings from getting a Macbook and firewire 800 is only really necessary for video capture. It is handy to have as an extra IO port but you can get a hub for more USB devices.



    The MBP has a better quality screen but I'd say in this case just go for the Macbook. Check out the refurb store too and see if you can save money.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    The 9400M will not be an improvement over a Geforce 8400. Both have 16 stream processors and are essentially identical GPUs.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    You had to say it was white... race a factor?

  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by junglemaster View Post


    You had to say it was white... race a factor?





    Yep, you caught me... i'm a racist.

    Actually I guess I could have said plastic, just trying to distinguish it from the new aluminum.



    I'm kinda going towards just the MacBook as I really just wanto ignore my desktop and just have one computer and the 8400 there is good, so 9400m should do... I'll see what I end up doing...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    k515k515 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post


    I'm kinda going towards just the MacBook as I really just wanto ignore my desktop and just have one computer and the 8400 there is good, so 9400m should do... I'll see what I end up doing...



    Hello, Ultimate. I had the same problem as you (torn between the 13" and 15" macbooks) until I emailed my nephew (he's a mac user, & has a macbook) about getting the 13" macbook, and he told me that I probably wouldn't be happy gaming on a 13" laptop, and he told me to get the 15" macbook. Additionally, I had the opportunity to fool around with one of my girlfriend's daughter's 13" ibook last week, and I found that my nephew was right about a 13" screen being a bit cramped, especially when it comes to gaming, so I'm getting the 15" macbook. Ultimate, I think you should get yourself either the 15" or the 17" macbook. The bigger screen will be easier on your eyes.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I ended up getting the 13" MacBook as i'm used to 13 from my previous MacBook, have an external monitor and the 9400M is good enough for the games I've thrown at it (like AOE3, SimCity 4).



    My friend has a 15" MacBook Pro he brought over so I could test out and Windows was very buggy on it, had BSOD 3 times as I hear the 9600 drivers have issues. Appearently there are some fixes, but I haven't had a single crash on my MacBook since I got it Tuesday. In addition his ran very hott in Windows, while mine runs only warm to the touch.
Sign In or Register to comment.