Steve Give Us 2 AGP Slots

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
technically impossible, sorry

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    I know that the twin view on the upscale graphics cards serves this purpose, but I think it would be great to use 2 seperate cards for different monitors.

Just a thought. Oh yeah, and make them 8x. Thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Isnt the rumored GeForce 4 suppose to be 8X AGP? <drool>

Why is two AGP slots impossible, I really dont understand?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    I always thought the pro machines should have 8 firewire ports... at 3200mbps. What does everyone else think? Overkill?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    AGP accesses the memory directly and the protocol only has support for one AGP device per memory controller. Sorry, Intel made up the rules on this one.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    You can easily have multiple video cards. Just have them be PCI. I don't think you can run a game on all of them at once, but it's been done for years.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Aha! I suggested two AGP slots a while ago and got geek-slapped too.

They are direct memory ports, as opposed to a bus, so you can only have one of them (apparently).

It is a problem because two monitor set-ups are de riguer in many pro situations, video editing, 3D, sound studio etc.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Yeah this is not like Vesa Local Bus which AGP really is just a newer version of. With VESA Local Bus you could have 3 cards but it was limited to clock cycles or something.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Your options are: dual-headed cards like the TwinView, and PCI cards.

With a TwinView in the AGP slot, a PowerMac could drive 6 monitors. (I'm assuming that dual-head PCI cards don't exist.) That should be enough for even the most rabid power user on these boards, at least.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    6 black lcd monitors, lined up with 4 surrounding you and 2 perched up high, then you have a matrix-esque set up

it would be the super pimp if you had a 22 inch cinema displayi n the centre two 17inchs two the left and right of that and15 inches everywhere else. that would be nutty, If I had the money, and time, I would do that, just for fun, but I don't so oh well...

.I feel sick...I haven't been sick in like years....urg...
  • Reply 10 of 17
    b.i.lb.i.l Posts: 30member
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>With a TwinView in the AGP slot, a PowerMac could drive 6 monitors. (I'm assuming that dual-head PCI cards don't exist.)</strong><hr></blockquote>

The new Radeon 7000 is a dual-head PCI card...

10 monitors!
  • Reply 11 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>AGP accesses the memory directly and the protocol only has support for one AGP device per memory controller. Sorry, Intel made up the rules on this one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think this is not entirely correct.

While it is true that you can only have one AGP device per AGP controller, you should be able to just integrate two such controllers into the northbridge and use them concurrently.

Yet, even though it might be technically possible, it would be completely infeasible, because apart from having to have two AGP controllers integrated into the northbridge, each AGP slot would also need to be connected individually to "his" controller, which would drive up the northbridge's pin count and general motherboard complexity (and thus price) to insane levels, especially if most customers aren't likely to need or use it anyway.

Bye,

RazzFazz

P.S.: Concerning direct memory access - this also applies to bus-master PCI devices and even the CPU itself, and still it's obviously possible to have all of them in a system. The memory controller arbitrates conflicting memory accesses.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: RazzFazz ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 17
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Insane prices? You mean like what Apple already charges for their towers?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    I agree that would increase prices, just like EVERY additional option does. But on the side of feasability, what if you are talking about machines with multiple processors? What does that do to the situation?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    GeForce 3 with the dual port would rock. Isn't the current dual monitor card for the Mac a GeForce 2 MX dual port? That's an AGP card right? At least that (Dual GF3) could be done.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: onlooker ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by muah:

<strong>I agree that would increase prices, just like EVERY additional option does.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, but you can't just make it an option to put on top of an existing motherboard. A complete board redesign would be inevitable (which is completely different from the situation for dual processor macs, see below).

[quote]<strong>

But on the side of feasability, what if you are talking about machines with multiple processors? What does that do to the situation?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nothing really. Even DP machines only have a single UniNorth chip. In fact, the motherboard is exaclty the same for single and dual processor macs, they just have different CPU modules plugged on top of them.

Bye,

RazzFazz
  • Reply 16 of 17
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    If I remember right, the current chips from both NVidia and ATI support dual monitors. Apple just needs to build the ability into the NVidia cards they are building. I think most of ATI's current video cards support 2 monitors now.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by JCG:

<strong>If I remember right, the current chips from both NVidia and ATI support dual monitors. Apple just needs to build the ability into the NVidia cards they are building.</strong><hr></blockquote>

They already do. The TwinView is even standard on some models.