Video recording interface unearthed in iPhone Software 3.0

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2019
Following weeks of evidence and source reports on Apple's intentions to include video recording features in its next-generation iPhone, a new discovery within betas of the company's iPhone 3.0 software has all but officially confirmed the plans. Separate hints at Voice Dialing features are also being reported.

The below screenshot of the video recording panel was dug up by MacRumors contacts, showing an interface similar to the existing iPhone camera application with the addition of a digital toggle switch in the lower right-hand corner of the app for switching between still photos and video captures.

"The video recording is not presently functional in iPhone 3.0 beta, and the interface is not accessible by default," according to the report. "Only when configuration files were modified telling the firmware that a Video Camera was present will this interface appear."

In addition to the toggle switch, a square interface element on the left-hand side is also visible. This isn't specific to the video capture component of the application and is actually a fixture of the new Camera application due to ship as part of iPhone Software 3.0. It will display a thumbnail of the most recent image or video captured by the user.

There were also some other capabilities unearthed during the discovery of the video interface including "auto-focus camera", "magnetometer" (digital compass), and "Voice Control".

A report with more screenshots over at BGR shows yet another screen within iPhone 3.0 software showing a large video camera icon with the caption "You can take videos using the camera." The mobile phone site also shows a screen in the "International" preferences panel of the beta software with the aforementioned "Voice Control" changes, which it believes may have something to do with Voice Dialing features.

Three weeks ago, AppleInsider cited people familiar with the upcoming iPhone hardware who said Apple would include a higher resolution camera capable of taking videos in the device, addressing one of the most glaring omissions from the iPhone since its inception two years ago.

Camera App
The Camera app in iPhone OS 3.0 for still photos (left) and with video enabled (right).

Since then, it's been reported that the Cupertino-based electronics maker has placed orders for 3.2-megapixel lenses for the new models, a 1.2-megapixel increase from the first two generations of the touch-screen handset.

Camera App
Yet another iPhone 3.0 screen hinting at video features (left) and another that could imply voice dialing capabilities.

Meanwhile, control icons for an iPhone video editing application were also uncovered in betas of iPhone Software 3.0, further corroborating our report that Apple would allow users to make rudimentary edits to their videos in a similar manner to the way the company's new Voice Memo application allows trimming of audio recordings.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    Any word of video chat capability in the new software? I mean I know that ATT is beefing up their network.

Heres my theory....

Apple in June releases iPhone v3 and they rename the "messaging" app the iChat and you can do video messaging from iPhone to iPhone and from iPhone to a Mac or PC and visa-versa.

I say PC too because Apple will release a version of iChat for the PC. It will obviously grow rapidly in marketshare because you will need it to video chat with an iPhone on a PC.

Sounds plausable right?

Three weeks ago, AppleInsider cited people familiar with the upcoming iPhone hardware who said Apple would include a higher resolution camera capable of taking videos in the device, addressing one of the most glaring omissions from the iPhone since its inception two years ago.

The Camera app in iPhone OS 3.0 for still photos (left) and with video enabled (right).

Since then, it's been reported that Apple has placed orders for 3.2-megapixel lenses for the new models, a 1.2-megapixel increase from the first two generations of the touch-screen handset.

Yet another iPhone 3.0 screen hinting at video features (left) and another that could imply voice dialing capabilities.

Meanwhile, control icons for an iPhone video editing application were also uncovered in betas of iPhone Software 3.0, further corroborating our report that Apple would allow users to make rudimentary edits to their videos in a similar manner to the way the company's new Voice Memo application allows trimming of audio recordings. [/QUOTE]
  • Reply 2 of 48
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Hmm, I guess everyone expects this to be for a new iPhone version, not the iPhone 3G. Pity, since we know it can record. We can hope, though.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    The second set of screen shots seem to be be taken from a jailbroken iPhone (Notice the battery indicator shows percentage as well).
  • Reply 4 of 48
    jimerljimerl Posts: 53member
    Enough!! I can't take it anymore!! Gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme
  • Reply 5 of 48
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    I think now Apple can easily create other new revolutionary products. They have enough base in almost every area. Apple can easily make Digital Camera thing that can revolutionize Digital Cameras or something.

Also, they have enough experience to start with the car-system that can revolutionize how we use our cars. This is great news.

I hope they keep on finding great new talents to help them with all this.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    jimerljimerl Posts: 53member
    hey, this thing 'corrected' my grammar against my will.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

The second set of screen shots seem to be be taken from a jailbroken iPhone (Notice the battery indicator shows percentage as well).

Im not sure, I have that on my jailbroken iPhone and it usually takes the battery image out and just places number with no "%".

Can this be apple's new battery indicator? Anyone know?
  • Reply 8 of 48
    my wife and I were talking about getting a flip minoHD for some trips we're planning on taking. I guess we may just look into upgrading our iPhones, although I hope this feature can still be used with the 3G with the 3.0 update.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Im not sure, I have that on my jailbroken iPhone and it usually takes the battery image out and just places number with no "%".

I am 100& sure it is not in the official iPhone OS 3.0 beta 2.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Quote:

Yes, this is a new feature in iPhone 3.0. boygeniusreport.com has some new screens and their is an option to turn on the battery %
  • Reply 11 of 48
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mvalbano View Post

Any word of video chat capability in the new software? I mean I know that ATT is beefing up their network. ...

As far as I know, the only evidence of this in the rumours about the new devices, is the very first rumour that Apple was buying 3.2MP parts as well as 5MP parts.

If you wanted to be really optimistic, you could assume that the 5MP part is for the front facing (now) video camera, and that the 3MP part is for the front facing iChat camera. It's all speculation on speculation though and the flip mino only has 0.3MP parts.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

Hmm, I guess everyone expects this to be for a new iPhone version, not the iPhone 3G. Pity, since we know it can record. We can hope, though.

Will with poor rationalization that because something is technically capable of something, albiet poorly and with dire consequences to the rest of the system functions, that it should be included? Any camera can potentially be made into a video camera as it is only a series of still images in repetition. However, the video camera on jailbroken iPhones is not only poor quality but requires an excessive amount of processing to work which is highly draining on the battery. Like it or not, Apple has never been one to include a feature just to impress nerds with the size of their spec sheet. If you want that kind that of device there are plenty of handset of vendors that have, that are, and that will always satisfy such needs.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Finally... Voice dialing!!!! Wow!
  • Reply 14 of 48
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Apple can easily make Digital Camera thing that can revolutionize Digital Cameras or something.

YEAH! They can make a thing like... umm... that would... you know, like what you said - revolutionize the camera thing, or something like REALLY cool!

That would be AWESOME!

@<;----->;
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mvalbano View Post

Yes, this is a new feature in iPhone 3.0. boygeniusreport.com has some new screens and their is an option to turn on the battery %

I can't find it on my v3.0 Beta 2.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

As far as I know, the only evidence of this in the rumours about the new devices, is the very first rumour that Apple was buying 3.2MP parts as well as 5MP parts.

If you wanted to be really optimistic, you could assume that the 5MP part is for the front facing (now) video camera, and that the 3MP part is for the front facing iChat camera. It's all speculation on speculation though and the flip mino only has 0.3MP parts.

I think that is a very hefty camera for a iChat on a phone when the current iChat for Macs is only 2Mpx. I also think that adding a better camera AND the ability to do video is enough for Apple on that aspect of the next revision.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Finally... Voice dialing!!!! Wow!

I'm skeptical at this point. For starters, I would have thought this would have warranted a nod at the iPhone OS 3.0 demo. Also, I think it'll be mostly useless if I have to use the touchscreen to access voice dialing and holding one of the other buttons to enable it seems a bit uncomfortable. I wonder if they are making a new BT headset with a button that will allow for voice dialing.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm skeptical at this point. For starters, I would have thought this would have warranted a nod at the iPhone OS 3.0 demo. Also, I think it'll be mostly useless if I have to use the touchscreen to access voice dialing and holding one of the other buttons to enable it seems a bit uncomfortable. I wonder if they are making a new BT headset with a button that will allow for voice dialing.

I think a BT headset with voice dialing is the logical choice. This can be confirmed by Apple pulling their BT headset from the market lately.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    The battery charge went from 100% to 96% between screenshots in just 8 minutes! Uh-oh...
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I think a BT headset with voice dialing is the logical choice. This can be confirmed by Apple pulling their BT headset from the market lately.

If the sales, BT range and battery life weren't being reported as low I would think that would be obvious, but I think it also might just be discontinued altogether.

I've tried to figure out the best way to have voice dialing on the iPhone itself that is easy to initiate while in my pocket. The Sleep and Home buttons are too awkward to press down and hold to initiate voice dialing while in your pocket. While in your palm the Sleep is still awkward while the Home is moderately functional, but I don't think it's ideal.

Holding down a button on the side where your index finger can get to it works easily while in your palm and in your pocket, but I don't think pressing and holding one of the volume buttons works well. I think to make it work on the handset itself Apple will need to add another button, but I can't see them doing that with their mindset. I wonder if making the vibrate toggle switch a button that can be pressed and held down would be feasible. It seems like it would work from my weak testing.

Also, you can't have it on the lanyard of the headphones unless you move the mic away from the buttons because it covers up the mic when pressed.

PS: I'd like them to add the IPhone Shuffle's VoiceOver to iPod tracks and playlists, but more importantly have them add an option to VoiceOver to my contacts names when they call and text me. Reciting phone numbers numerically for calls without contacts would be nice, but that would mean reading it on the fly when VoiceOver for the Shuffle is done on your PC within iTunes before syncing.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

... I think that is a very hefty camera for a iChat on a phone when the current iChat for Macs is only 2Mpx. I also think that adding a better camera AND the ability to do video is enough for Apple on that aspect of the next revision. ...

I agree.

I'm expecting something like a 3.2MP camera in place of the 2.0MP one we have now and given that the 2.0 one performs like a 4 or 5, I would say the 3.2 and the addition of the flash and the better lens will give us snaps that are on par with the latest Canon PowerShot type camera.

I expect this setup (properly designed and optimised) could easily produce video that makes a flip mino's output look like crap in comparison also.

There might be a forward facing camera, but I wouldn't count on it either.

The only thing that saddens me about the whole thing is that I would have preferred that they focussed on document editing with this revision instead of video and cameras. All the pieces are in place for full-scale word processing and document editing on the thing, but there is no word on anyone at Apple even thinking about it so far.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    paradymparadym Posts: 13member
    Seems obvious to me, although there are always surprises:

- New iPhone will be able to record video and post to YouTube and MobileMe, possibly more, with some rudimentary editing features. It's possible iPhone 3G might be able to get this through the OS update, but I'm guessing not due to hardware shortcomings (memory, processor speed, etc.).

- New iPhone hardware will have an upgraded camera, probably 3.2Mp, as well as possibly a "hidden" camera on the face of the phone for self-capture and video calls, and that might be a 1.2Mp camera. Definitely photo editing software added, still on the fence if any sort of flash will be added. I believe photo editing software will be available to all legacy phones via update.

- With voice recording, most likely voice dialing. Voice dialing will most likely not be available for legacy phones due to hardware issues, at least using a headset.

- The included headset will probably be the upgraded ear buds released last fall, with volume control as well as being able to initiate calls via voice, possibly by just holding center button on headset(?). The new iPhone will be able to communicate with the fourth band on the headset plug that allows this feature, so therefore legacy phones will not be able to use voice dialing, again, at least using the headset. Same reason why the new headphones can't control volume on current iPhones, hardware limitations.

- In order to make this all possible, it's very likely there's an upgraded processor (dual core maybe?) and definitely more RAM. And more storage is obvious; at least 32GB, possibly 64GB (using two 32GB?).

- A better battery and definitely better power management, a la Macbook Air. I think the Air allowed research into power management that will be used in the new iPhone, perhaps even for the legacy hardware. Battery technology is limited in regards to what you can do with a given size battery; instead you need to use smart technology to manage battery usage. Being that the iPhone gets criticized for its battery life (a bit unfairly in my opinion, but could definitely be better), and batteries only get marginally better, Apple will possibly introduce some way of managing power requirements in a far more efficient way.

- A better resolution screen, possibly even OLED as it's thinner and requires less power. I'm still impressed with my 1st gen iPhone's screen, but with HD becoming more ubiquitous I think this is possibly the next step.

- I'll be interested to see what they do with the new case. The aluminum one was definitely better looking but hurt reception, and the 3G seems a little too prone to scratches and cracks. I have no idea where they may be going with this.

Again, my guess is that it will be called iPhone Video.