Mini-display hdmi

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am a recent convert to the uni-body MBP. Anyone know if the mini-display port can output audio? Its all well and good getting the adapter from monoprice but if you can't input the sound and audio into a tv what's the point?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Mini-DP doesn't currently support audio out. Use an appropriate output to hook into your speakers - analog or optical/digital TOSLink. The headphone jack supports both.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Mini-DP doesn't currently support audio out. Use an appropriate output to hook into your speakers - analog or optical/digital TOSLink. The headphone jack supports both.

That's not clear to me. Do you use the TOSlink in addition to the Mini-DP?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Mini-DP: Video

TOSLink: Audio

Yes.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    minidp is only for video... basic stuff

• Reply 5 of 6
    philwphilw Posts: 2member
    whilst I am happy that the head-phone jack can output audio the problem will arise when trying to input into a tv. If you connect an HDMI then you won't be able to play audio from another source as the tv will be on the hdmi 'channel' or the channel which the audio inputs to.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philw View Post

whilst I am happy that the head-phone jack can output audio the problem will arise when trying to input into a tv. If you connect an HDMI then you won't be able to play audio from another source as the tv will be on the hdmi 'channel' or the channel which the audio inputs to.

Depends on the TV. Some will allow you to map audio input channels to a given video input. Certainly almost any surround receiver will do that.