WWDC Sessions are up

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/sessions/index.html



Specifically:



http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/sess...l#session=1734



Quote:

The Xcode project system scales from building the simplest Mac and iPhone applications to the most complex. Get a complete overview of the system, including how to create custom build configurations, support unit tests, use compiler settings to track down coding errors, build 32- and 64-bit universal applications, and use SDK settings to ensure compatibility for your target customers.



This ought to get a few people wondering about PPC and first generation Intel dealing with 32 bit Cocoa universal applications in Snow Leopard.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,219moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


    This ought to get a few people wondering about PPC and first generation Intel dealing with 32 bit Cocoa universal applications in Snow Leopard.



    Because there haven't been any releases of Snow Leopard to date that are PPC compatible, I'd be surprised to see Apple push out an untested version at the last minute. The mention of universal apps could simply reference the ability to target older OSs in the SDK. For example, a developer on OS 10.6 should still be able to target a PPC machine with their app. I read the Rosetta installation is going to be optional on 10.6 though and saves considerable amounts of space but developers will likely need it installed to target PPC.



    Apple could of course be rebranding 'universal' to mean 32-bit and 64-bit; they will need a term to describe whether or not an app will run on a 32-bit machine because apps compiled as 64-bit won't.



    The above also means that 32-bit could be unsupported and again only be an SDK option but unlike PPC, 32-bit machines are supported in the pre-release version of SL and the installation requirements are basically to have an Intel processor, it doesn't specify a 64-bit Intel processor. So, I still think no PPC support, just SDK targeting but it will run on 32-bit machines.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,263member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    Because there haven't been any releases of Snow Leopard to date that are PPC compatible, I'd be surprised to see Apple push out an untested version at the last minute. The mention of universal apps could simply reference the ability to target older OSs in the SDK. For example, a developer on OS 10.6 should still be able to target a PPC machine with their app. I read the Rosetta installation is going to be optional on 10.6 though and saves considerable amounts of space but developers will likely need it installed to target PPC.



    Apple could of course be rebranding 'universal' to mean 32-bit and 64-bit; they will need a term to describe whether or not an app will run on a 32-bit machine because apps compiled as 64-bit won't.



    The above also means that 32-bit could be unsupported and again only be an SDK option but unlike PPC, 32-bit machines are supported in the pre-release version of SL and the installation requirements are basically to have an Intel processor, it doesn't specify a 64-bit Intel processor. So, I still think no PPC support, just SDK targeting but it will run on 32-bit machines.



    Did I say I was wondering?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,268member
    WWDC schedule



    Mainly fluff



    One question though does the current iPhone OS X support Core Data or is that new?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    WWDC schedule



    Mainly fluff



    One question though does the current iPhone OS X support Core Data or is that new?



    New in iPhone OS 3.0.
Sign In or Register to comment.