Turning old iPhone back to AT&T?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I had an iphone that went through the wash - obvioulsly now a brick. I went to the ATT site and got a refurbished one (and of course they restarted a 2 year contract - very annoying but I digress). I still have the old iphone and I have heard that rumors that if I somehow lose my current iphone they will look at the original and the second purchase and "lose" as indicators that I am reselling and will not let me purchase a new iphone.

True? Should I somehow get ATT to denote in my record that I gave them a busted phone so they know I did not resell it? The ATT guy I talked seem completely confused with the notion. Not sure if the new more open sales of them negates this issue or not ... I do not want to lose my phone after a year and then find out I have a iPhone data plan but I can't buy or activate a new iPhone to use it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Do you have a tin-foil hat ?

I really doubt that they even track that stuff ... much less seek out the people doing it.

If you bought dozens of phones over a short time... might set off some alarms... but I seriously doubt 2 or 3 would. You're giving those folks at ATT way too much credit
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thanks for the reply but as I have read three different postings of the issue - two of mentioned it was their third iPhone in a two year period (which it would be for me) so not sure your reply adds anything useful.

Anyone with knowledge or experience, not just an opinion or desire to be a comic have an answer?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Do you have a tin-foil hat ?

I really doubt that they even track that stuff ... much less seek out the people doing it.

If you bought dozens of phones over a short time... might set off some alarms... but I seriously doubt 2 or 3 would. You're giving those folks at ATT way too much credit

• Reply 3 of 4
    AT&T has just informed me that the information they provided this morning was incorrect and they apologize for that.

Here's what AT&T had to say:

"If you bought the phone on or after May 27, you have to exchange it. If you're buying a new iphone and you bought your old one before May 27, we don't require you to turn in the old one."

Now I feel confident, because my contact at AT&T knows what's up. I'm told "there was some confusion on this and it's been 100 percent clarified."

So again ... if you want to upgrade if you bought after May 27 you must turn it in for a free iPhone 3g but upgrading doesn't require turning in your old iPhone.

I checked and rechecked before posting and was just told by AT&T that the info was incorrect. I wanted to make sure the correct information was updated as soon as possible.

And, regarding the old iPhone, here's what I'm told: "Details are not available yet on deactivation - i.e. you keep your old

iPhone and you want to use it as an iPod."

I'm assured I'll get that information just as soon as it comes out, and I'll make sure I let you know as soon as I do.

Thanks for calling.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    but something tells me this particular interest in water immersion of phones boils more and more agitatedly as Jun 2009 approaches