Totally Lost with Brand New Mac Book Pro

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

Before beginning my questions, I want to let you know that I have read and reread both booklets that came with my computer, soaked up as much information as possible from the internet, and I am still lost.

I even went to the "bar" at my local Apple Store, and tried to get information that way....It was a joke. Even though I had written down all my questions beforehand, 15 minutes didn't even cover the first question.

Question 1: I have a windows application software that I dearly love and use to use constantly. I do a lot of graphics and no other program out there is like this particular program. I spend $100 for the program, and don't want to lose my money or the program. I have downloaded parallels, and bootcamp, to no avail.

Question 2: When I downloaded either of the above programs from the internet, it came in 8 different parts. I started with No.1 and went to No.8, and I could not find it anywhere on my computer. With windows, all I had to do is open the 1st part, and it will tell me how to install it. I can't open it. When I click on No. 1, a little icon shows that it is unpacking, but it will not open.

Question 3: Do I have to download windows to make either program work with on my mac. I thought downloading either program would conform a windows program to mac.

Question 4: I have also downloaded mac applications, and again, the little icon bar shows up, downloading, but where it goes, I haven't the foggiest.

Question 5: When I went to the "bar" at the apple store, the tech was kind enough to download the specific driver I needed to make my hand-held microscope work on the computer. After he finished, I even wrote down the necessary steps needed in order to pull it up. When I went to use it, it wasn't there. I had to go through an hour and a half of aggravation looking for it. Finally I succeeded, but the window was extremely tiny. I couldn't make it any larger, as there was no place on the screen to increase the size. The tech at the apple store couldn't make it any bigger either.

This is a very nice computer, but my frustration level is at its peak!

Please feel free to direct me in whatever direction needed.

thank you

magic

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magic View Post

Hello,

Before beginning my questions, I want to let you know that I have read and reread both booklets that came with my computer, soaked up as much information as possible from the internet, and I am still lost.

I even went to the "bar" at my local Apple Store, and tried to get information that way....It was a joke. Even though I had written down all my questions beforehand, 15 minutes didn't even cover the first question.

Question 1: I have a windows application software that I dearly love and use to use constantly. I do a lot of graphics and no other program out there is like this particular program. I spend $100 for the program, and don't want to lose my money or the program. I have downloaded parallels, and bootcamp, to no avail.

Question 2: When I downloaded either of the above programs from the internet, it came in 8 different parts. I started with No.1 and went to No.8, and I could not find it anywhere on my computer. With windows, all I had to do is open the 1st part, and it will tell me how to install it. I can't open it. When I click on No. 1, a little icon shows that it is unpacking, but it will not open.

Question 3: Do I have to download windows to make either program work with on my mac. I thought downloading either program would conform a windows program to mac.

Question 4: I have also downloaded mac applications, and again, the little icon bar shows up, downloading, but where it goes, I haven't the foggiest.

Question 5: When I went to the "bar" at the apple store, the tech was kind enough to download the specific driver I needed to make my hand-held microscope work on the computer. After he finished, I even wrote down the necessary steps needed in order to pull it up. When I went to use it, it wasn't there. I had to go through an hour and a half of aggravation looking for it. Finally I succeeded, but the window was extremely tiny. I couldn't make it any larger, as there was no place on the screen to increase the size. The tech at the apple store couldn't make it any bigger either.

This is a very nice computer, but my frustration level is at its peak!

Please feel free to direct me in whatever direction needed.

thank you

magic

1-- Not sure what you're asking. Bootcamp comes with your Mac; you have to set it up with a disc partition and install a purchased copy of Windows, but once you've done that you should be able to run your PC software as if your Mac were a PC. It is a PC, for all intents and purposes.

Parallels also requires a copy of Windows, but also should allow you to run your PC software.

2-- Again, not sure what's happening. Bootcamp, as I say, comes with your Mac and doesn't need to be downloaded. Parallels downloads as a single disc image. It will put an icon on your desktop that acts like an attached drive, you just double click on that to install. Is there something limiting about the network you're on? Are you using Safari or Firefox?

3--Aha. I see where you are having trouble. As I mentioned in #1, you have to install your own copy of Windows to use Bootcamp or Parallels.

4-- Downloads go to the Downloads folder in your Dock. If your Dock is on the bottom of your screen, it's the rightmost folder before the trash, if you have in on the side it's the bottommost before the trash.

5-- If there is a driver issue with your particular hardware and the manufacturer hasn't addressed it, you may be stuck. What's the product name and model number? I would check their website.