Non-Roman characters with MacOS X on AI board

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
[Answer to a question from another thread]

I added a few Hebrew words to my signature basically to see if the forum software accepts it, which it does.

If you cannot see it using Jaguar (the first version of X with Hebrew support), it means you don't have Hebrew support installed.

Check you flag menu to see if Hebrew appears in the list.

If you want to insert a non-Roman text, just select the desired keyboard, and type your text.

Further examples:

תודה רבה

السلام عليكم

на здоровье

In case it's already installed but the non-Roman text still doesn't appear correctly, I think you should ask one of the geniuses in the bar.

[ 12-18-2002: Message edited by: Immanuel Goldstein ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Ã?CÃ?emÃ?nÃ?¡pyéÃ?Ã?·tópÃ*òîwÃ??é§vÃ?Ã?Ã?? éÃ?Ã?°sÃ?¢Ã?Ã?Ã?®rÃ*¨â?Ã??Ã?§sÃ*Â*gÃ?Ã?óì tÃ?ªdsÃ?B
  • Reply 2 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by der Kopf:

<strong>Ã?CÃ?emÃ?nÃ?¡pyéÃ?Ã?·tópÃ*òîwÂ?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I guess this isn't Flemish.

So I might be missing the appropriate keyboard setting, unless it's a particular writing system the forum software doesn't accept. Care to tell what it's supposed to be?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    zmenchzmench Posts: 126member
    Immanuel,

Didn't know you spoke Russian as well.

So,

English

French

Hebrew

Arabic

Russian

And I'm assuming Yiddish and German?

Of-course, I never took to French for obvious reasons.

[ 12-19-2002: Message edited by: zMench ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 9
    zmenchzmench Posts: 126member
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>I don't get the Der Kopf one either. Does anyone see it correctly?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

You've been eating too many deep fried furry little animals..

Count how many characters are contained in one word. That should give you an idea of what our Dear Kopf is up to.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member

<strong>I don't get the Der Kopf one either. Does anyone see it correctly?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, I don't see it correctly myself, but I was kind of hoping that some of you would be able to. I remember having left out many localizations while reinstalling Jaguar. That might be the reason.

Anyhow, I was just typing up (in English, I don't speak any other-alfabeted language) that I wanted to thank you for pointing this nifty trick out.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by zMench:

<strong>Immanuel,

Didn't know you spoke Russian as well.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just a few words I picked up along the way.
  • Reply 7 of 9

<strong>Some people might not see mine, but to let you know it's Trad. Chinese. Sorry but I don't write Chinese and can only type the Chinese I do know if I know the Mandarin - and can recognize the correct character, as I type in Pinyin. So I can't do much more complicated stuff than "ni hao ma".

There's an oddity in the way OS X handles Unicode Chinese characters, so the middle character "hao", (which incidentally is not part of the Japanese Kanji set), shows up differently. On a side note, the early iPod firmware used to not be able to show these non-Kanji Chinese characters.</strong><hr></blockquote>

不對哦!

I think you have that backwards, tonton. The hao character is in the Japanese kanji set, and it means the same thing it does in Chinese. The first and last characters, however, aren't in Japanese, to the best of my knowledge.

I'm just hazarding a guess here regarding the "oddity." It may be because Japanese is higher on the language hierarchy on your system, which causes the 'hao' character to be interpreted using a Japanese font and the remaining characters to be handled using a Chinese font.

They do appear differently as you say for me in Chimera, but when I view it in OmniWeb (with the preference set to display in Traditional Chinese), the characters appear in the same font.

[ 12-21-2002: Message edited by: frawgz ]</p>