moved: 10.2.3 Finder Problem

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey, somebody had to be stupid enough to go ahead and install 10.2.3 right away. Now everytime I try to open a finder window, it opens it, but then the window and all the icons disappear for a second. Then everything except the window I want comes back.

Everything else seems to work fine - it's only Finder windows. I can get around this for now by dragging folders to the dock and right clicking.

So, is it reinstall time? Any suggestions? Does Apple have a place to send in these sorts of bug reports?

Thanks.

JP

[ 12-19-2002: Message edited by: jp_patches ]

[ 12-19-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Have you rebooted again to see if the problem would simply go away?

You should also try to repair your drive. You can do this with "/sbin/fsck -y" at the command line in single-user mode or you can boot up from the Mac OS X Intall CD and use Disk Utility to repair the drive. The latter is easier for anyone unfamiliar with the command line. Simply restart from the CD, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu, select your startup volume from the list, click the First Aid tab, and click the Repair Disk button. When that's finished, click the Repair Disk Permissions button also.

If this doesn't help, there are some other tricks we can give you to try.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I installed 10.2.3 without any problems.

• Reply 2 of 3
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have rebooted several times and it's still happening. Sometimes the menu bar goes away, too.

Following your suggestion, I went into single user mode and tried to repair the drive. The message came back that everything is fine. What else could I try?

JP

PS I'm not a complete computer newbie. I even used to know a lot on UNIX commands when I was in school. It's just that I've only had OS X since August and I haven't taken the time to learn the guts of it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Hmm. Well, 10.2 introduced a new kind of system-wide caching system that on very rare cases can corrupt and cause weird problems. Try deleting the /Library/Caches/ and ~/Library/Caches/ folders and reboot.

Also, did you try repairing the permissions from Disk Utility? You don't have to boot from a CD to repair permissions on your startup volume.

You might also want to try deleting the Finder preferences at "~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist".

That about covers the typical fixes. You haven't installed any themes, UI hacks, or "haxies" on this system, have you? They can be absolutely detrimental when applied to systems with newer OS versions than what they were built for.

On that note, I'm going to move this into the Genius Bar. It might get better responses there.