Wireless Networking Woes - Which option should I go with next?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all. I moved into a new place about two months ago and have had continuous struggle getting my wireless network working since then. I have a cable modem and an Airport Extreme which I bought about 2 years ago. I can pick up wireless pretty well within about 20 feet of the router but past that the signal tends to fall off pretty dramatically. At 40 feet I can't pick up a signal at all.

I thought at first that the problem was the wi-fi card in my new MacBook Pro (as I was dropping connex other places as well). I got it replaced but that didn't help at all. I also tested an older MacBook Pro and couldn't get a signal outside of 20 feet either.

I purchased an Airport Express last week to see if that would help. Unfortunately it didn't as it could barely connect to the Airport Extreme outside of about 10-15 feet and therefore didn't extend the range enough to reach where I need to go (40 feet from the router/AeBS). I also tried to purchase a new Airport Extreme to see if that would improve things. It didn't.

I'm now trying to figure out how to move forward. I need to get a strong internet connection 40 feet from the base station which doesn't seem like it should be all that difficult. I guess I'm down to a few options:

#1 - Replace the original Airport Extreme router with a different router. Probably would be the NETGEAR WPN824 RangeMax Wireless Router based on some research I've done.

#2 - Run a powerline adapter so that I can access the network over the electrical lines. It sounds like something like the Netgear XAVB101 Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit will work pretty well for this.

#3 - Move. I really hope it doesn't come to that.

I guess I could also run an Ethernet cable across the entire place...that would be preferable to moving eh?

Anyway, any thoughts on these options or anything else I can try. I've spent countless hours on this and it's really, really frustrating to not be able to do something that seems like it should be fairly easy. It's possible that the construction in the new place is causing these issues. However, I still need to try to figure out a work-around.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbischke View Post

Hi all. I moved into a new place about two months ago and have had continuous struggle getting my wireless network working since then. I have a cable modem and an Airport Extreme which I bought about 2 years ago. I can pick up wireless pretty well within about 20 feet of the router but past that the signal tends to fall off pretty dramatically. At 40 feet I can't pick up a signal at all.

I thought at first that the problem was the wi-fi card in my new MacBook Pro (as I was dropping connex other places as well). I got it replaced but that didn't help at all. I also tested an older MacBook Pro and couldn't get a signal outside of 20 feet either.

I purchased an Airport Express last week to see if that would help. Unfortunately it didn't as it could barely connect to the Airport Extreme outside of about 10-15 feet and therefore didn't extend the range enough to reach where I need to go (40 feet from the router/AeBS). I also tried to purchase a new Airport Extreme to see if that would improve things. It didn't.

I'm now trying to figure out how to move forward. I need to get a strong internet connection 40 feet from the base station which doesn't seem like it should be all that difficult. I guess I'm down to a few options:

#1 - Replace the original Airport Extreme router with a different router. Probably would be the NETGEAR WPN824 RangeMax Wireless Router based on some research I've done.

#2 - Run a powerline adapter so that I can access the network over the electrical lines. It sounds like something like the Netgear XAVB101 Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit will work pretty well for this.

#3 - Move. I really hope it doesn't come to that.

I guess I could also run an Ethernet cable across the entire place...that would be preferable to moving eh?

Anyway, any thoughts on these options or anything else I can try. I've spent countless hours on this and it's really, really frustrating to not be able to do something that seems like it should be fairly easy. It's possible that the construction in the new place is causing these issues. However, I still need to try to figure out a work-around.

Any suggestions?

Is your extreme near anything that would be causing any major electrical interference? I assume you are living in a apartment or condo considering the difficultly. I was in a similar situation in college and I ended up running network cable to all four corners (two top floor, two bottom) of the townhouse and putting an access point at each.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Same suggestion ... could be the construction of the building ... steel studs?

Have you tried locating the Base Station at different places ... (meaning different by several feet, not several inches.) ... Might be hard to do, as you'd probably like to be near the cable outlet ... but it might help.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Thanks guys. I ended up just up buying one of the Powerline adapters and now things are fine. It's not 100% ideal but at least I can stop dealing with these issues.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbischke View Post

Thanks guys. I ended up just up buying one of the Powerline adapters and now things are fine. It's not 100% ideal but at least I can stop dealing with these issues.

i know this is an old thread BUT

i have a similar problem, router on 2nd floor, want to connect my new tv in basement, and Wii

thinking of a powerline solution and in the basement a 4 port base.

what are your thoughts, anything i should learn from this, what manufacturer, would a 4 port work in the basement

ok....i have two tvs and a wii planned in the basement, do i need a adapter for each meaning two upstairs and matching adapters for each tv and wii??? thats why i'm thinking a 4 port hub, in the basement and run cable, what do you think, or can you buy the "base" and 3 receiver units?

are the base unit to router the same as the one thats plugs into the basement tv? are there separate receiver and base units they sell them as kits but i need 3

thanks
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Hi Nofeer -

I have a very similar arrangement to yours. I'm using powerline adapters from Plaster Networks, and they work really well. I would definitely recommend them. Be sure to get units running the HomePlug AV standard. You pay a few dollars more, but the performance and reliability benefits are worth it!

The Plaster Networks units have two Ethernet ports, which is really nice. So, you can plug in one adapter next to your router (upstairs), and then another one next to the first TV (and connect the TV and Wii to the two Ethernet ports on the adapter). Then you can plug in a third adapter next to your second TV. That's it!

Good luck!

Stuart
  • Reply 6 of 6
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    too complicated to chase ethernet cable to basement

bought some netgear av powerline adapters to test (refurbished from amazon)

took my iphone with an ewifi app to check wireless.

guess what i checked and got 4 bars wireless at all corners....big surprise but want a wired solution as well, will experiment with powerline

i'm using an old wrt 300n router and shocked its pushing that far. i was going to upgrade the router but maybe i won't need it

thanks for the insight