OS X/9 switching help!?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
do the new powerbooks come with a full version of 9 installed, or only classic. i have a few apps that won't run on classic, so i'll need to boot in to 9 (full version). can i do that or do i need to make a partition to install 9 on. if so, i guess i'll need to install many things twice, one for each os. seems like it may be complicated. i want to keep my hard drive as streamlined as possible.

perhaps i should get an external firewire drive to install 9 on and boot from that when i need to run a 9 app. i've never used an external hard drive so i'm not sure how that works exactly. any knowledge would be greatly appreciated. i'm about to use X for the first time, but will still be relying on 9. i'm a bit intimidated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    if you can boot into classic, you are also able to boot into OS 9 itself. (as for now, that is)

[ 12-20-2002: Message edited by: Defiant ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Our flat panel iMac came with classic installed. It could boot into OS 9. However, it does not come with an OS 9 installer disk. Software restore installs Classic if you need to replace it. According to the Apple help line we can get an OS 9 installer CD from the Software Fulfillment group for $20.