What I wish iPhone would be...

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    An ugly flip-phone?

However, Apple would do good to make the iPhone truly waterproof.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

An ugly flip-phone?

No. I wish iPhone would be solar-rechargeable.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    There are cases for that which is better than having it built into the phone for a number of reasons.

1) when better, faster, more efficient solar panels come out, you will be stuck with slow charging.

2) It doesn't really add all that much to the phone features and features might need to be left out because of the circuits for the solar panels.

3) What if you are in a rainy, constantly overcast place? The solar panel wouldn't do much.

4) Solar panels don't come cheap, I am not saying that a small solar panel like that will cost much but companies love to up charge the consumer for new tech.

That's not to say it is a bad idea because I am all for green tech and green living but this stuff needs to be developed more and more to get high efficiency rates before companies start pushing out this kind of tech.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

... I wish iPhone would be solar-rechargeable.

The best suggestion I've heard for a future iPhone yet.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Would be nice but you would have to turn it upside down for it to charge via solar. Wasn't there some sort of technology that would incorporate solar cells in the display panel? That would be handy.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    IIRC Sharp is also in the business of making solar panels, so this phone is more of a publicity stunt than a useful product. Think about the usage of a phone: you charge it up on your desk, you keep it in your pocket, and, for relatively brief moments, you hold it to your ear. These are not good uses of solar. If you want to incorporate solar into your lifestyle, mount a panel on your roof and use it to recharge your devices.

Of course, you live in France where more than 80% of the grid electricity comes from nuclear. So you are already most of the way, with or without solar.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UTisNUM1 View Post

2) It doesn't really add all that much to the phone features and features might need to be left out because of the circuits for the solar panels.

Being unable to make a single call from discharged iPhone does change drastically the opinion about the value of this feature. And it happens that single call is really important.

As for everything else, there're sure limitations, which may be as usual weakened by rigorous task statement and reasonable implementation.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Would be nice but you would have to turn it upside down for it to charge via solar. Wasn't there some sort of technology that would incorporate solar cells in the display panel? That would be handy.

What I fancy is transparent solar cell. Sure, it should be on the front side of the phone.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

The best suggestion I've heard for a future iPhone yet.

Thank you. I already sounded it somewhere on the forum before...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Of course, you live in France where more than 80% of the grid electricity comes from nuclear. So you are already most of the way, with or without solar.

I live in Southern France. We install solar cells readily and rapidly everywhere we can.