Caller ID Question-My name doesnt show

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hi ,

I wasnt sure where to post this and I'm a newb so I'm posting it here .

I bought my iPhone about 2 weeks ago and when I call someone it just says ' Cell Phone ' and my number .

Do I have to wait for a certain amount of time before it shows my name or do I call AT&T and buy that feature ?

Sorry if this question has already been answered somewhere .

Thanks for your help !!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Who are you calling?

If it shows your number then it's an issue with the contacts entry on the phone you are making the call to.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnnybrauvo View Post

Hi ,

I wasnt sure where to post this and I'm a newb so I'm posting it here .

I bought my iPhone about 2 weeks ago and when I call someone it just says ' Cell Phone ' and my number .

Do I have to wait for a certain amount of time before it shows my name or do I call AT&T and buy that feature ?

Sorry if this question has already been answered somewhere .

Thanks for your help !!

• Reply 2 of 8
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Try *82<number>. If that works then you have line block, and you need to phone AT&T to get it removed (or not).
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Except it's showing the number which is what called ID does, imagine the privacy issues if phone companies starred sending caller ID's with your name and number.

The lawsuits would be huge!

As I said the number is probably saved on the phone being called as 'Cellphone' or it is saved in a format the phone being called doesn't recognize, with the international codes present on an SMS for example

Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Try *82<number>. If that works then you have line block, and you need to phone AT&T to get it removed (or not).

• Reply 4 of 8
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Except it's showing the number which is what called ID does, imagine the privacy issues if phone companies starred sending caller ID's with your name and number.

The lawsuits would be huge!

As I said the number is probably saved on the phone being called as 'Cellphone' or it is saved in a format the phone being called doesn't recognize, with the international codes present on an SMS for example

I hate to break it to you, but Caller ID has been including the name and number for some time now. I have a voice feature on my phone that announces the callers name when ever I get a call.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Not in Australia it doesn't, it would be against our privacy laws.

The showing and saying of names only works with names stored in a phone's contacts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

I hate to break it to you, but Caller ID has been including the name and number for some time now. I have a voice feature on my phone that announces the callers name when ever I get a call.

• Reply 6 of 8
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Is the OP talking about calling another cell phone or a land line? If he's calling a cell phone, then it is indeed a problem with his number not being in that cell phone's contacts (address book). But if he is calling a land line, it is the phone company. I regularly get a combination of phone number only, name and phone number and "out of area" displayed on my land line caller ID.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Yeah , when I called my landline through Comcast it says ' Cellphone ' and then my number .

I just called my mom to test out what it says on her cell phone ( she has Metro PCS ) and it says ' California ' then my number .

Sigh .

I had no idea they were all different .

Anyways , thanks for all the answers .
  • Reply 8 of 8
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    For the landline you need to take that up with Comcast. For your mom's cell phone, tell your mom to add your cell phone number and name to her address book or contacts or whatever it's called on her cell phone.

Also, on your iPhone, make sure Settings >> Phone >> Show My Caller ID, is set to ON.