Apple reaches 1 billion app mark at rate of 5.5 million per day

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

They actually didn't make that clear on the page advertising it. They worded it as though just downloading an app up until the billionth app was downloaded was enough. I pointed out the page to family members and they read it the same way. I was going to enter (or so I thought) by downloading an app but I didn't find any app worth downloading.

It makes sense that they would pick the billionth download but they worded it badly. They should have written "prize will be awarded to downloader of 1 billionth app" instead of:

"Join the celebration. Download any app and you automatically get the chance to win a $10,000 iTunes Gift Card, an iPod touch, a Time Capsule, and a MacBook Pro.

As of today, nearly one billion apps have been downloaded around the globe. So we just want to say thanks — a billion. Download an app and you’ll automatically get the chance to win a $10,000 iTunes Gift Card, an iPod touch, a Time Capsule, and a MacBook Pro. Just go to the iTunes Store, browse the App Store, and download your best app yet."

Nowhere on the main page did it say that it's only the 1 billionth app that wins. I bet a lot of people will be disappointed over that. It now seems like they worded it that way to avoid people only downloading when it got close to the mark.

Sorry you were misled.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    lol I would totally put my winnings on ebay

I was thinking though, how funny would it be if the winner had won by downloading some kind of fart soundboard or just something completely ridiculous. Luckily for apple the billionth app was something very useful.

BILLION APP DOWNLOADED: Chia pet app. Watch a chia pet grow on your iphone!! :x
  • Reply 23 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

lol I would totally put my winnings on ebay

I was thinking though, how funny would it be if the winner had won by downloading some kind of fart soundboard or just something completely ridiculous. Luckily for apple the billionth app was something very useful.

BILLION APP DOWNLOADED: Chia pet app. Watch a chia pet grow on your iphone!! :x

I think when you're selling multiple apps a second, you have some leeway in determining which, exactly, was the billionth app.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    with the help of a contest... it reached its goal faster... otherwise it would have been past June for sure for them to reach 1 billion
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

with the help of a contest... it reached its goal faster... otherwise it would have been past June for sure for them to reach 1 billion

Yeah. And that would have been totally lame. A billion apps in an extra two months? Pfffft. As if, Apple.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah. And that would have been totally lame. A billion apps in an extra two months? Pfffft. As if, Apple.

What is so fantastic about 1 billion app when the majority of them are crap apps? This 1billion apps downloaded reminds me of McDonald's over 1billion served- like WhoGivesaF?

How many free fart apps make up that 1billion, addabox?
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

What is so fantastic about 1 billion app when the majority of them are crap apps? This 1billion apps downloaded reminds me of McDonald's over 1billion served- like WhoGivesaF?

Gosh, I don't know, teckstud. How many of the songs on iTunes suck?

And, of course, if Apple started tossing off apps to make raise the standard, you'd be first in line to belittle Apple for being overly controlling.

Because you are, apparently, a robot of some sort, so making sense doesn't really seem to have much to do with it, does it?
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:

Gosh, I don't know, teckstud. How many of the songs on iTunes suck?

And, of course, if Apple started tossing off apps to make raise the standard, you'd be first in line to belittle Apple for being overly controlling.

Because you are, apparently, a robot of some sort, so making sense doesn't really seem to have much to do with it, does it?

Wow- I don't know what to say- if you can't decipher why songs $old would be a different valued goal in numeric quantity as opposed to free crap apps downloaded then I refuse to spoon feed the answer to you.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Wow- I don't know what to say- if you can't decipher why songs $old would be a different valued goal in numeric quantity as opposed to free crap apps downloaded then I refuse to spoon feed the answer to you.

Please, Sir, can I have some more?
  • Reply 30 of 42
    why do you dorks always have to nerd rage on each other about everything?

fuckin give it a break already.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    BTW, I understand a 13-year old kid won the contest. Good for him. Now go forth and create apps.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:

why do you dorks always have to nerd rage on each other about everything?

fuckin give it a break already.

50 posts in and your in charge. What a gratingly pompous little shitbag.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

I think it's significant though because if it took that long, they wouldn't be able to say 'over 1 billion apps downloaded in under a year'. It's like how they say they transitioned to Intel in 9 months. They like to be known for fast turnarounds.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud

I would partly agree with this but weighing up the numbers, ipods + iphones = 40 million total or something so an average user must be downloading over 20 apps each.

The apps are mostly terrible but it does show a degree of interest in the content delivery system despite the poor quality on offer so Apple does have something to brag about. As always, Apple's bragging should go unnoticed by consumers though and instead people should only recognize things Apple does that benefits consumers.

Making a restrictive, profit-making store with a broken rating system that fails to quarantine a huge number of poor quality software is not one of those things IMO.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:

Well, he did have the presence of mind to choose the moniker "iStink".
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Heh. And I can't spell "you're", so I fail at imperious dismissal.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:

Heh. And I can't spell "you're", so I fail at imperious dismissal.

But the effort was appreciated.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:

Aww did I hurt your feewings? Did the big bad man with low post count make a point u didn't like. awwwww.

I haven't been here long, but in that time I've already grown sick of your constant flaming. You add nothing substantial to discussions and on top of all of that, I've yet to see you act polite in the slightest way to anyone.

But hey, it's the internet right? People who otherwise are submissive and dull in real life can lash out and rage at the drop of a hat on the internet.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What can I say, I enjoy broccoli and deviled eggs
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:

Aww did I hurt your feewings? Did the big bad man with low post count make a point u didn't like. awwwww.

I haven't been here long, but in that time I've already grown sick of your constant flaming. You add nothing substantial to discussions and on top of all of that, I've yet to see you act polite in the slightest way to anyone.

But hey, it's the internet right? People who otherwise are submissive and dull in real life can lash out and rage at the drop of a hat on the internet.

Tell me about rage, some more, you lunatic.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:

Tell me about rage, some more, you lunatic.

you make good points and I won't put you on my ignore list LOL jk