MBP 15" and built-in battery

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi everybody.

I've read somewhere about Apple saying they're are going to put user-irreplaceable battery in future gen. 15" MBP after trying it out in 17-inch model (some kind of official statement)

Do you guys think whether it's true or not?

P.S. Based on internals, it's only possible to put ~65Wh battery without rotating HDD 90 degrees clockwise. More than that, it's necessary to move additional speaker's plate to top of the superdrive (like in 13" UMB) in order to rotate HDD. With rotated HDD ~75Wh battery will fit.

Would you buy version with only 75 (65) Wh built-in instead of standard 50Wh?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maratus View Post

Hi everybody.

I've read somewhere about Apple saying they're are going to put user-irreplaceable battery in future gen. 15" MBP after trying it out in 17-inch model (some kind of official statement)

You can read almost anything these days but that doesn't make it official. Apple as far as I know has not said anything on the subject.

Quote:

Do you guys think whether it's true or not?

P.S. Based on internals, it's only possible to put ~65Wh battery without rotating HDD 90 degrees clockwise. More than that, it's necessary to move additional speaker's plate to top of the superdrive (like in 13" UMB) in order to rotate HDD. With rotated HDD ~75Wh battery will fit.

If you are of a mind to convince your self that something is impossible then why post here. There are several possible approaches that one could use to address the space issue. Everything from completely new battery tech to dropping the CDROM drive. It is simply a mistake to believe that Apple would be stuck with yesterdays power density.

Quote:

Would you buy version with only 75 (65) Wh built-in instead of standard 50Wh?

I'm of mixed opinion when it comes to the built in battery. I'm convinced that it was the right thing to do on the iPhone. On a laptop there are different factors at work, but I can't say it is inherently bad. In any event you are assuming they can't put more than 75 Wh in the machine.

So to answer your question, would I buy, if I needed another Apple laptop possibly. In anyevent the batteries are user replaceable, they just aren't swappable by an idiot. Once you have that cover off though you see what makes the MacBooks so nice, that is the very clean layout.

Now normally I would not expect Apple to make physical changes to a new model so quickly. That means in the short term I don't expect any modifications like you suggest. However Apple has an Ace up it's sleeves and that is the fact that the housing is CNC'ed machined. This means that Apple could rapidly modify the case through a programming change. It is a big advantage if they can leverage it.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 7
    On the battery issue, do the currently available 15" MBPs have the new long-lasting batterries like the 17" (ie up to 1000 recharges). It seems like the next logical step for Apple to migrate this technology down to the 15"...and hopefully sooner rather than later. I'm a bit hesitant to buy a 15" (and I can't afford a 17") at the current prices if it doesn't have the better battery tech...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

If you are of a mind to convince your self that something is impossible then why post here. There are several possible approaches that one could use to address the space issue. Everything from completely new battery tech to dropping the CDROM drive. It is simply a mistake to believe that Apple would be stuck with yesterdays power density.

Everybody's stuck with yesterday's power density. Batteries have been manufactured for 2 centuries. They are not improving at the rate computers and flash memory is. I've read an estimate that batteries are improving at about 3% per year, so we can't expect any leaps and bounds in density.

OTOH, if Apple keeps the thickness and removes the optical drive, that opens up a lot of volume to put a lot of battery in. I'd like that, but I don't believe Apple will do it. If they decide to remove the optical drive, they'll just make everything thinner and thinner.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Apple doesn't comment on unannounced products, so there's never been an official statement.

If acceptance of the 17" hasn't been hurt by the built-in battery, they may well go for it.

To appease the few road warriors who would object, they could always license MagSafe to third parties to make a backup external battery. I am unsure whether the FW800 port is capable of supplying power to the laptop (as opposed to its role of supplying power to peripherals.), but I don't think so. I imagine any external power pack would need to be authorized by Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    maratusmaratus Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

To appease the few road warriors who would object, they could always license MagSafe to third parties to make a backup external battery. I am unsure whether the FW800 port is capable of supplying power to the laptop (as opposed to its role of supplying power to peripherals.), but I don't think so. I imagine any external power pack would need to be authorized by Apple.

In fact Quickertek and BatteryGeek do produce external batteries with magsafe adapter. BatteryGeek's one works as external source and can't recharge internal battery while Quickertek can.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by synp View Post

Everybody's stuck with yesterday's power density. Batteries have been manufactured for 2 centuries.

This is very misleading as some of the latest tech has only been around for a decade or so. As for power density, for batteries for consumer devices, it has been increasing at a steady rate. Even the lowly AA battery has improved significantly.

Quote:

They are not improving at the rate computers and flash memory is. I've read an estimate that batteries are improving at about 3% per year, so we can't expect any leaps and bounds in density.

It is closer to six percent for lithium batteries. This does not however include other battery technologies. The good thing with computer hardware improvements is that generally each round of process improvements allow for more computational power at a given energy usage level. This battery powered devices improve beyond what the battery improvements allow for.

Quote:

OTOH, if Apple keeps the thickness and removes the optical drive, that opens up a lot of volume to put a lot of battery in. I'd like that, but I don't believe Apple will do it.

It is hard to say if they will, mostly due to consumer expectations. Personally ditching the internal CD drive would not cause me problems. As to the so called technology advances in Apples 17" notebook battery I'm not sure what the scoop is there. The improvements could simply be the result of a larger amp hour battery.

Which of course is related to volume for a given battery tech.

Quote:

If they decide to remove the optical drive, they'll just make everything thinner and thinner.

That is not a given and frankly I can see better uses for that space. At some point making things thinner isn't going to do allot for the PC especially from a structural standpoint. All Apple needs to do is refocus what it's marketing trades on. Next year long run times on battery power could be a key feature. This year it is uni body and thinnest. I just see thinnest loosing it's draw with consumers.

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 7
    maratusmaratus Posts: 38member
    As I told, 75 Wh is maximum for 15" MBP.