Why did I buy an Airport Express?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have 2 Mac Mini's that I wanted put on a wireless network.

I just found out that the Mac Mini can share its internet connection wirelessly.

And it was so much easier than configuring the Airport Express.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alphajack7 View Post

I have 2 Mac Mini's that I wanted put on a wireless network.

I just found out that the Mac Mini can share its internet connection wirelessly.

And it was so much easier than configuring the Airport Express.

How? Details, please.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    One ethernet internet connection (from a cable/dsl source?) into one of the Mini's (or any Mac) will allow it to become a base station using it's Airport.

It can't, however, receive internet via Airport AND act as a base station at the same time.

OSX has been able to do this with airport enabled Macs since day one.

So basically, one of his Minis is taking the place of the Airport Express.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    If he wants to use surf the Net with computer B but A is wired to the Net, wouldn't A have to be up and running for it to share its connection?

I've always had an Airport Express so I haven't used sharing; I travel a bit and like to use the express in hotels, a meetings, etc., so it sort of does double duty. Also, I don't find it that difficult to set up.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

If he wants to use surf the Net with computer B but A is wired to the Net, wouldn't A have to be up and running for it to share its connection?

Yes... put that under the "cons" column.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Also, Airport Express is a sixth of the size of a Mini and costs a sixth as much, lets me stream my iTunes music to my stereo from every computer in my house (while fitting invisibly behind same) and lets me wirelessly access a USB printer from every computer in my house, both with close to zero configuration or hassle, all the while providing wireless internet access for every computer in my house and all without ever tying up a fairly expensive, grossly overpowered for the job computer.

Which is why I bought an Express, can't speak for anyone else.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

How? Details, please.

I see there are reasons to buy an Airport Express or Extreme, but this worked in my situation. Thanks Apple.

http://macapper.com/2007/07/22/tutor...-base-station/