Future Powerbook needs to be more tactile

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Am I the only one who finds the Titanium Powerbook too cold and sterile?

I mean it's cool, sleek and modern, but I wish there was a way to make it feel more warm and tactile to the touch.

The iBook just feels better. Even the old Pismo's felt better.

I'd love to keep the form factor and titanium finish but maybe there's a way to coat it with a thin coat of plastic so it doesn't feel as metallic and slippery. Plus that might lessen the scratches.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Maybe a fury dashboard would help?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    That's actually not a bad idea. Titanium is strong structurally but not good with scratches. Plus, you need to buff it to make it shine.

Cover it with a little clear plastic and it will always shine! Except when there' so much scuzz on it that...

I expected a complete product line revision at MWSF, and was disappointed. I was hop[ing APple would make all the new Macs in a sleek-metal-covered-in-clear-plastic look. Even the PowerMacs would be stainless steel with a plastic covering. The iMac I surmised would be a thick-based LCD panel with the back all metal to serve as radiating area for the heat of the processor and the HD. No syuch luck7.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    I totally agree... I hope the next TiBook, or PowerBook, will be rounder and smoother. While initially the design was great... its a very cold design. Just take the current form factor and smooth it out a bit... more Pismo-ish. Also, maybe have a less contrast shell/keyboard color... the black/grey really stand out and dont really blend into eachother.

Its elegant and sober... not cool and think differentish.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>Also, maybe have a less contrast shell/keyboard color... the black/grey really stand out and dont really blend into eachother.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, that aspect of the Ti really looks bad. I always wondered why they did that since the keys are not the same as the ones on a desktop keyboard.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>I totally agree... I hope the next TiBook, or PowerBook, will be rounder and smoother. While initially the design was great... its a very cold design. Just take the current form factor and smooth it out a bit... more Pismo-ish. Also, maybe have a less contrast shell/keyboard color... the black/grey really stand out and dont really blend into eachother.

Its elegant and sober... not cool and think differentish.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree. Personally I prefer the original G3 Powerbook form to the G4 Powerbook, and iBook. The flatness of the G4 makes the trackpad feel awquard to me. But that is just my opinion.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    I agree too. The powerbook G3s looked like 'Bat-Laptops'.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by stimuli:

<strong>I agree too. The powerbook G3s looked like 'Bat-Laptops'.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, they were and still cool, especially the latest Pismos. They were pretty thin too. If not for the fact that they're G3's I would pick up a used 500.

And now I just saw a recent ad for a Dell laptop that has the same subtle curves that the Pismos had. Chalk up another example of others copying Apple...albeit, a few years later.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I doubt the PowerBook G4 will ever change. Did the G3? There was one early one that had the same case as the 3400, but once WallStreet came out the form didn't change at all.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    bogiebogie Posts: 407member
    Actually the Wallstreet and the Lombard do not share the same case at all.

While they look VERY similar, if you set them in a room together it is instantly obvious, the Wallstreet was much thicker with more robust packaging. Also the keyboard was obviously changed but along with that went the volume, brightness, and power keys all of which were changed in the Lombard.

The changes sound minor until you actually compare the two cases. The overall look is similar but it was obviously a refinement that took us to the Lombard/Pismo case.

Course, I happen to like how rugged the Wallstreet design was.

The Lombard and Pismo have the same case.