MacBook Pro does not boot reliably

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My MBP does not boot reliably. I have a 2.16GHz 15 inch core 2 duo MBP that developed a problem recently. It boots 50% of the time correctly but sometimes the screen does not come on. I hear the Superdrive making its usual noise after I press the power button but the screen remains blank -- no bang sound and no blue screen and no apple logo.

The way I have been getting it to boot is by removing all power sources (AC adapter and battery) and let the MBP sit cold for couple of hours. It boots fine if I connect the battery or AC adapter thereafter. I could alternately remove the RAM for couple of hours (maybe minutes, but did not check it) and reinsert the memory card and it boots fine. I ran the extended hardware test from install DVD and it reported no errors. Also the disk utility reported no errors on the disk. Everything is original on this MBP. Memory card is fine since I can use it on my MSI Wind and it works. Not sure what is going on here. Any ideas? I am running the latest Tiger. I reinstalled everything from the Tiger DVD and I saw the same problem. Something tells me this is a hardware issue. Also, I am out of warranty (didn't buy the extended warranty, oh well). My MBP is less than 2 years old.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    kdbillykdbilly Posts: 12member
    i have almost the same problem happening with mine, but mine is much older. it recently did this again but i can not get it to boot at all and it makes a sound like when tv channels used to off the air in the old days. does anyone have an idea what it is or should be done? thanks very much..
  • Reply 2 of 2
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    does sound like a hardware issue

check the Apple Discussions and search hard, there might be a long thread and enough people with the same problem, Apple might have a out of warranty fix or solution. it might be a video card problem.

they do want to have another happy customer right?