Airport Extreme with Dual Band Networks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have an Airport Extreme with Dual Band Networks, and an airport express 802.11n edition. I have setup the Base station to do N,A,G,and B Networks, but I only want the express to EXTEND the G Network. How can I make that happen?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Using Airport Setup Utility.

Set up the EXPRESS the way you want it using "Manual Setup".

There should be checkbox or pull-down menu somewhere in there that will allow you to choose B/G only.

If you're using Air-Tunes though, I'm not sure you'll be able to use it from a computer connecting at "N" speeds, if your Express is only on the "G" band.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Using Airport Setup Utility.

Set up the EXPRESS the way you want it using "Manual Setup".

There should be checkbox or pull-down menu somewhere in there that will allow you to choose B/G only.

If you're using Air-Tunes though, I'm not sure you'll be able to use it from a computer connecting at "N" speeds, if your Express is only on the "G" band.

Unfortunately there is no drop down. When you extend, you can only choose the network, not the freq, and it automatically extends the N Network.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    (My airports are the previous generation... no dual-band from a single device)

So both the "N" and the "G" sides of the network have the same name/ID with the new Airports?? In that case, I'm at a loss to help you, as my Airport Utility will only display the menus for the previous generation of Airports.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

(My airports are the previous generation... no dual-band from a single device)

So both the "N" and the "G" sides of the network have the same name/ID with the new Airports??

I know right? I was as surprised as you. I liked it at first, obviously now, Im not exactly a fan. I even tried enabling the "Guest Network" but even that will only connect to the existing Radio with a BSSID. Sucks huh?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Here's something... (It's how I have a dual band network using the old hardware.)

Set up the Extreme as "N" only (or even as dual-band), then connect the express via ethernet and have it broadcast an entirely different network as "G" only ... you should get that option from Airport Utility if you choose "Create a Network" rather than "Extend a Network". (It seems that when you "Extend", it simply matches the set-up of the network you are extending... perhaps there's a good reason it has to, i dunno.)

Of course, that setup is totally blown if you wanted the Express located away from the Extreme (like near your Stereo gear maybe), since the whole point of wireless is to not have cables strung all over the place.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Of course, that setup is totally blown if you wanted the Express located away from the Extreme (like near your Stereo gear maybe), since the whole point of wireless is to not have cables strung all over the place.

Thats exactly how want it setup it supplies ethernet to my Media center. we have a "kitchen computer laptop" setup that uses G only. I think I will just buy a Wireless and go ALL N.

Thanks for the help!