Time machine took away 2 days of my life...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This past weekend I had to reinstall os x due to messing around with boot camp (long story) and when I went to restore using TM either through the migration assistant or using the install disc and restoring to specific date did not work. Each time I tried recovering either way the process kept stopping at around 30% with an error message referring to the disk being corrupt. I cant recall the exact message but I used disk utility verify and repair to test the external hd that time machine was on and after the troubleshooting it came back fine. I ended up pulling the important aps and files through accessing time machine folders but I was unsuccessful with recovering back to the original state. Im not sure if it was a corrupt file on the hd or the actual hd was corrupt, anyhow I ended up getting a new HD and starting over again. Any thoughts on how or why this might of happened?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by montevina View Post

This past weekend I had to reinstall os x due to messing around with boot camp (long story) and when I went to restore using TM either through the migration assistant or using the install disc and restoring to specific date did not work. Each time I tried recovering either way the process kept stopping at around 30% with an error message referring to the disk being corrupt. I cant recall the exact message but I used disk utility verify and repair to test the external hd that time machine was on and after the troubleshooting it came back fine. I ended up pulling the important aps and files through accessing time machine folders but I was unsuccessful with recovering back to the original state. Im not sure if it was a corrupt file on the hd or the actual hd was corrupt, anyhow I ended up getting a new HD and starting over again. Any thoughts on how or why this might of happened?

I know exactly why it happened: you installed windows or were preparing to instal windows.

If you are not prepared to do the time, don't to the crime.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

I know exactly why it happened: you installed windows or were preparing to instal windows.

If you are not prepared to do the time, don't to the crime.

you might be right
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

you might be right

I am correct.

First, we all know windows is, in reality, a virus. Second, even though there is boot camp I tried to avoid using Windows like the plague. Result: no time machine error.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    montevinamontevina Posts: 23member
    Quote:

I am correct.

First, we all know windows is, in reality, a virus. Second, even though there is boot camp I tried to avoid using Windows like the plague. Result: no time machine error.

Keeping your sensitive personal windows issues aside, you still haven't really helped nor explained why time machine acted in such manner because certainly it wasn't because of boot camp. Once again, it did not do what it was supposed to which was fairly simple, transfer over or merge pre existing files over to the new OS. Try not sit there and be so confident "I am correct" unless you have a decent explanation of the problem because most definitely blaming it on windows doesn't work ALL the time.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'd like to get in on the Windows "pile on" please.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Keeping your sensitive personal windows issues aside, you still haven't really helped nor explained why time machine acted in such manner because certainly it wasn't because of boot camp. Once again, it did not do what it was supposed to which was fairly simple, transfer over or merge pre existing files over to the new OS. Try not sit there and be so confident "I am correct" unless you have a decent explanation of the problem because most definitely blaming it on windows doesn't work ALL the time.

But it does work 99% of the time. I don't think you will ever figure out why TM gave you an error. If it has something to do with windows (a very high possibility) then forget about it. Not even MS engineers know how/if windows really works. Just remove any trace of windows and try again. Keep that policy up for the rest of your life and you will realize it is a wise thing to do.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Let me guess. You either installed BootCamp/Windows while the Time Machine drive was mounted or you made the drive available to Windows at some point. Either way -- Game over man! You will have no idea how the MS filesystems will mess with the sensitive data you have on the Time Machine drive.

If you play BootCamp, disconnect the Time Machine drive, that's only reasonable data hygiene.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Let me guess. You either installed BootCamp/Windows while the Time Machine drive was mounted or you made the drive available to Windows at some point. Either way -- Game over man! You will have no idea how the MS filesystems will mess with the sensitive data you have on the Time Machine drive.

If you play BootCamp, disconnect the Time Machine drive, that's only reasonable data hygiene.

Actually I would say this: "if you install Windows, game over man!"
  • Reply 9 of 12
    montevinamontevina Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Actually the drive was not mounted nor connected when I was installing windows..I tried backing out when I was in the middle of installing windows (not wise) but regardless it should not have an effect on time machine since after backing out I reinstalled os x . . . THAT's when I tried to use TM to reinstall from latest backup.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

Actually the drive was not mounted nor connected when I was installing windows..I tried backing out when I was in the middle of installing windows (not wise) but regardless it should not have an effect on time machine since after backing out I reinstalled os x . . . THAT's when I tried to use TM to reinstall from latest backup.

TM is not a clone of your boot drive.

A total clone of your drive would have given you the option to 'hold option' boot from it, erase and reverse clone, leaving you back where you started.

Cloning a boot drive won't clone a Windows formatted partition like what Bootcamp sets up unfortunatly.

It should be a simple matter of booting from the failed drive and deleting the Windows formatted partition. Either under bootcamp or whatever it's done.

I use VM Fusion to run Vista, XP and even Ubuntu all at the same time in Spaces under OS X. Blows people away.

I can even clone the whole mess over to a external drive and boot from it if need be.

Perhaps this is better for you, unless you need total Windows performance for 3D games, then you have to use Bootcamp.

Check my other posts, I have a easy detailed cloning method that has worked for me for years without a problem.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Check the Genius FAQ posts for a updated detailed cloning method I use. I'll make any new changes there.

It's very reliable method, saved my bacon twice.

Minimal downtime, no headaches.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Actually I would say this: "if you install Windows, game over man!"

Exactly.