Retarded Jaguar feature - I am furious! (rant..)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I used to set up all our machines' hard drives this way

Partition 1: OS X

Partition 2: OS 9

Pattition 3: everything else (files, etc.)

I use NetInfo Manager to change the user folder on each machine so it's on the third partition.

It's worked wonderfully - once we lost a partition, but all I had to do was reinstall OS X - didn't lose any files, or have to reinstall OS 9. The machines start up quicker in OSX and OS 9 - less files to scan. And for the dinosaurs who don't use OS X, it's on a third partition they never have to look at.

Until Jaguar came out. I wasted 4 hours trying to format the drives - after two calls to Apple, they tell me 9 and X have to be on the SAME partition.

Well, the person who uses OS 9 moved some OS X files around, and wrecked OS X. (you know, they see these generic icons on their hard drive, and delete them, or move library folders, which kills everything) Took me a complete OS X reinstall to get it to start up in OS 9 again.

This would have never happened had I been able to put OS 9 on a separate partition.

I guess Apple wants to do away with OS 9 soon, and having it on the same partition will make it easier. Apparently, this is only a feature on the Mirrored door G4s.

Thanks. I blame all of this on Quark.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Er... someone in 9 fubared the X files (heh), and then it wouldn't boot into *9*?? Pardon, but that seems really wrong. Can anyone else confirm this (as I'm still limping along on a B/W G3...)?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    1. X and 9 do not have to be on the same partition. I suspect the person you spoke with was either confused or a novice reading from some support flow chart.

2. Kickaha is right; the X and 9 systems never rely on each other. Meddling with one system folder should never affect the other.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    On the new Duals, OS X and OS 9 must be on the same partition. Impossible to install 9 on a separate partition. You cannot find this ANYWHERE. My experience, and 2 calls to Apple confirmed this.

If you start up from a 9.2.2 CD, the installer will not recognize any other drives other than itself. You can only launch the OS 9 Software restore CD in OS X, which will ONLY install OS 9 on a partition where OS X already resides. Bummer, huh?

[quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>Er... someone in 9 fubared the X files (heh), and then it wouldn't boot into *9*?? Pardon, but that seems really wrong. Can anyone else confirm this (as I'm still limping along on a B/W G3...)?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hello neighbor - I also live in Chapel Hill. I agree - your comment makes total sense. However, when I held down the option key on startup, only the OS X icon showed up - no OS 9 appeared!! That's why I had to reinstall just to see the OS 9 icon again.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    apple changed a lot in the last couple of weeks.

somehow the new mac's are moded and it's getting worse by the day.

apple is sure going the "x only way".

(edit: typo)

[ 01-02-2003: Message edited by: peve ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 14
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    What did that mean?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    [quote]Originally posted by francisG3:

<strong>

Hello neighbor - I also live in Chapel Hill. I agree - your comment makes total sense. However, when I held down the option key on startup, only the OS X icon showed up - no OS 9 appeared!! That's why I had to reinstall just to see the OS 9 icon again.</strong><hr></blockquote>

OS 9 won't appear by holding option if X and 9 are on the same partition.

I believe you that it is possible that OS X and OS 9 would be required to be on the same drive on the MDD machines. it is possible, and I can't argue it for I have no experience with that. I do know that it is not a Jaguar thing though, because I have 9 and X on seperate hard drives on one computer and it works fine.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The MDD machines have three ATA controllers: ATA/100, ATA/66, and ATA/33. The /33 is used for the optical drives, and the other two are free for HDDs. I'm not sure which controller the HDD is attached to by default, but there's a gotcha for OS 9 users:

OS 9 doesn't support ATA/100. If you want to have a bootable OS 9, it has to be in a different partition from OS X on a drive attached to the ATA/66 controller.

I'll bet that's the problem.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    also make sure when you partition to click the box that says install OS 9 drivers.

its in the Partition tab in OSX's Disk Utility.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>What did that mean?</strong><hr></blockquote>

and what did that mean?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    [quote]Originally posted by francisG3:

<strong>However, when I held down the option key on startup, only the OS X icon showed up - no OS 9 appeared!! That's why I had to reinstall just to see the OS 9 icon again.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You can fix that by manually booting into OS 9 (using the "Startup Disk" control panel on a Mac OS CD or something similar). Afterwards, the OS 9 will be visible in the "option key boot manager" again.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Moving the drive to the ATA -66 spot might do the trick, but I'm not sure. Better ask someone else about it. If you have a spare hard drive laying around you might try using that. It would be even better than having 9 and X on different partitions.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Yeah, I think the idea that you can not see 9 if they are on the same partition is a good idea if you are using these at schools.

Hey, is there a way to limit Classic users to just their home folder in X? Like, if a Classic user is using Photoshop 6, and they save, it is gonna show them the whole HD, but is it possible to have the same restrictions on files that X gives a non-admin?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    I helped a friend set up an dual 867 recently. He needed to boot OS 9 from a separate partition. We successfully got OS 9 running from a separate partition. And yes, it was on the ATA-100 controller.

First, we installed OS X and OS 9 from the installer onto one partition, then simply copied the OS 9 system folder to another partition.

It's necessary to "bless" the OS 9 folder after copying. Open system preferences (still running os x), and select the newly copied OS 9 folder as the classic folder. DON'T START CLASSIC...in fact, now select a different OS 9 folder for classic if you're going to use the one on the OS X partition. Simply selecting, then unselecting the OS 9 partition seems to be all it needs.

Then, the newly-copied OS 9 partition should show up in the system preferences/startup disk.

[ 01-02-2003: Message edited by: Alti-Vec100 ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 14
    thanx alti-vec for the info &lt;off-to-work-i-run-to-test-it&gt; because i tried to copy "the nine stuff" to an other partition, too.

but it didn't work.

i'll try to re-bliss the bugger.

apple isn't making it easy to custom install.