if i want to convert old analog v8 tapes to digital...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
hi: i have an old sony handycam v8, dating back to early 1990s: CCD-TR6. i'd like to convert the tapes to digital. can anyone recommend a good device for doing that, that isn't too pricey? i'd like to get something that will convert not only v8 but vhs, so i can convert some of those old tapes as well.

i have a macbook running 10.5.6. any help appreciated--thanks much.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nancytik View Post

hi: i have an old sony handycam v8, dating back to early 1990s: CCD-TR6. i'd like to convert the tapes to digital. can anyone recommend a good device for doing that, that isn't too pricey? i'd like to get something that will convert not only v8 but vhs, so i can convert some of those old tapes as well.

i have a macbook running 10.5.6. any help appreciated--thanks much.

Welcome to AI. This is one way to convert tapes to digital::

Search Query: VHS to DVD: http://support.elgato.com/index.php In the search field, type: VHS to DVD

Q: I want to digitize VHS tapes into my Mac

\t A: Some EyeTV products, like EyeTV 250 and 250 Plus, are able to take the output of a VCR, and bring the video into your Mac, for viewing and/or recording. These products have an encoding chip inside, to maximize encoding quality and efficiency. A product like EyeTV Hybrid does not have an encoding chip, and thus would offer lesser encoding quality. EyeTV Hybrid cannot use the VHS Assistant, but you can use Manual Recording for that product. See EyeTV 250 and 250 Plus.

To capture video, you have two options: The EyeTV VHS Assistant (in EyeTV software 2.2 or later), or Manual Recording.

Q: Can I use EyeTV Hybrid to digitize old VHS or analog camcorder tapes?

\t A: Yes, just connect your video source to EyeTV Hybrid's S-Video or composite RCA video/left/right inputs and hit Play on your source.If you are using a PAL EyeTV Hybrid, along with a SCART to composite or S-Video adapter, then make sure to use a TV-type adapter (one direction) instead of a VCR-type adapter (two directions).

Tech Spec EyeTV Hybrid: http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/main...oduct3.en.html

There are less expensive ways when using Windows, but I don't know if they work with Windows on a Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    yoder54yoder54 Posts: 7member
    I have used one of these: Canopus It is a great little converter that runs on anything. You just plug-in via the RCA or whatever, push the play button on your camera and next thing you know you are recording in real time. For what it does, this is a great price.

I had an Elgato, but returned it. For the money...no way, plus the thing ran really hot. I also did not like how heavy it was...to heavy for a USB port, but there are work arounds.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Canopus (Grass Valley) ADVC-110 is more expensive ($200 to $475 at Amazon. Which one do you use?) than the EyeTV.hybrid and requires cables. You could certainly use a USB cable with the EyeTV if it's too heavy to plug directly into a port.

Canopus doesn't come with a power supply. "For use with 4-Pin Firewire port an optional power supply is needed." $54.99 at Amazon

The company doesn't explain how to use it to convert VHS to DVD. It's big and bulky compared with the EyeTV. I was not impressed.

I'm not saying the Canopus is not good. I haven't used it or EyeTV. I'm playing devil's advocate.

Here's a review of the Canopus: http://www.guygraphics.com/REVIEWS-192003.html
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nancytiknancytik Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yoder54 View Post

I have used one of these: Canopus It is a great little converter that runs on anything. You just plug-in via the RCA or whatever, push the play button on your camera and next thing you know you are recording in real time. For what it does, this is a great price.

I had an Elgato, but returned it. For the money...no way, plus the thing ran really hot. I also did not like how heavy it was...to heavy for a USB port, but there are work arounds.

belatedly...thank you!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nancytik View Post

belatedly...thank you!

One more thing, the most important. Don't forget the neighbor kid willing to sit down for X amount of hours to convert those oldies. Take it from a guy who recently sat threw days of old footage to convert. Hire someone to do it for you, it's for your one good. Trust me you can only say "god my wife got fat" so many times.

Ooops, nothing honey it's someone elses wife .... got to go.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    nancytiknancytik Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

One more thing, the most important. Don't forget the neighbor kid willing to sit down for X amount of hours to convert those oldies. Take it from a guy who recently sat threw days of old footage to convert. Hire someone to do it for you, it's for your one good. Trust me you can only say "god my wife got fat" so many times.

Ooops, nothing honey it's someone elses wife .... got to go.

well, i don't have a wife. but this is probably the best advice on the subject i'll get!