Some Airport Extreme and Airport Express questions

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade my wireless network and am considering the Airport route. I want a dual band g/n network, as I have many g devices and will no doubt be getting some n devices in the future.

Trouble is, my current g network struggles to get enough speed to my PS3 and 360, meaning that streaming HD (and even some SD) is impossible. Could just be that my current router (an ancient Netgear model) is useless, but that it's stuck on 802.11g can't help.

What I'd like to do is to stick an Airport Extreme upstairs next to my cable modem which will then feed my PC direct through ethernet. Then downstairs I want to feed my PS3 wired ethernet from an 802.11n bridge (I'm assuming an Airport Express can be used for this?) and feed my other devices 802.11g/802.11b wifi. (iPhone, MacBook, 360, Wii, PSP )

Will this all work?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    While the theoretical throughput of the "G" spec should stream video just fine, the throughput you get in actual use just doesn't cut it... definitely not with HD.

"N" will stream HD, but your PS3 is limited to "G".

The idea of using the wired connection from the Express to the PS3 would work, but I don't know that the Express will do that ... that ethernet port might be "receive" only.

The new AirPorts though, WILL serve both "G" and "N" networks at the same time... previously, you needed to pieces of hardware to do that.

My "fix" for that was to put another (regular) AirPort near the PS3... bride the Wireless network over "N", the plug the PS3 and MacMini (old - "G" speed) into that via ethernet.

I guess I'm saying you need to make sure that the ethernet port on the Express will work in that mode before you buy it. If it does, the setup you proposed is working flawlessly for me. (I'm just using a second Extreme instead of an Express.)