Hard Drive not recognised by Disk utility

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi All,

I've just had a new Western digital 320Gb hard drive installed in my Macbook Pro. When I try and reinstall Leopard and boot from the installation disk, the new hard drive is not visible in the "Choose where to install Leopard screen" I also can't see it in Disk utility.

However, when I boot it from my old drive (it's in an external HD Enclosure) I can see the new internal HD drive in Disk utility. I have formatted it from here (Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)). Restart from the Leopard Install disk and it disappears!

Any idea of how I can fix this problem?

Cheers,

Ed

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flaminuggboot View Post

Any idea of how I can fix this problem?

Take it back to who and where you got the drive installed, it's most likely a loose connection or a bad drive.

Western Digital has had some issues with drive sleep and Mac's not being able to see them because, ta da *drum roll* they are not awake!

So try another brand, Hitachi or Seagoat, err SeaGate.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,301moderator
    Try partitioning it as GUID partition map when booted from the external. In partitions, select options and choose GUID. I doubt that's why it wouldn't how up but it's a requirement. Also, instead of installing from the disc, you can try cloning from your external using Carbon Copy Cloner - you can do this even if it's Tiger because the Leopard disc should let you update.