Microsoft Attacks Cost to Fill an iPod $30,000

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Microsoft's Laptop Hunter ads (one, two, three, and four) must be doing quite well, because what Microsoft started off as a price attack on Macs seems to have transcended over to the online music store business. Sure, Microsoft doesn't refer to it as the Apple Tax this time around, but the company still makes a point to use price as the main factor on its Zune Pass (Flash required) website. Microsoft has put Wes Moss, Certified Financial Planner, to work in telling everyone why the Zune Pass makes more sense than purchases from the iTunes store. Notice that the Zune Marketplace (our review) isn't mentioned at all; it's only about the Zune Pass. I've embedded the video below:

Moss compares $30,000 for iTunes to $15 for the Zune Pass. So where does Microsoft get the $30,000 number? Well, seeing as the 120GB iPod appears in the ad, I'm thinking the company is estimating each song at about 4MB, which really isn't much of an exaggeration. Of course, it's not exactly $15 versus $30,000. The $15 is a monthly fee, so you're likely going to be paying more if you plan on playing music for more than a month. That said, it would take you 166 years and 8 months to shell out $30,000 for the Zune Pass; many of us won't be living that long.

As of November 2008, the Zune Pass allows its users to keep any 10 songs per month. In other words, if you wanted 30,000 songs for keeps, just like the iTunes Store, you would have to wait 250 years. The cost would be a whopping $45,000, however. In other words, it's only really worth it if you're OK with the fact that you have to keep paying the monthly fee to keep access to the songs that you don't yet own. Otherwise, iTunes (or any other Ã* la carte model) is the way to go.

The ad does make a point, but I doubt it's going to be one that resonates with many. Those who choose the legal path tend to prefer purchasing their songs upfront, instead of paying a monthly fee. Still, the ad is straightforward enough that it will accomplish Microsoft's goal: get the word out there about the Zune Pass. It's definitely not easy to break the iPod + iTunes trend, especially when the online music store just keeps on dominating, and Microsoft is going to need a lot more than this new Zune Pass website to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ExogURaeI

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    It's funny you posted this article as I was just about to.

You know their right. I just turned 35 and have never purchased a single song online however have ammased an unuasly large CD collection that easly fills two 80 GB iPod classics. ..... and .... I just relized something, I'm officially my father as I haven't bought or listened to any new music in 3 years. I'm done, aaahhh damn you aging.

Anyway do the math, the article is correct heck I spent more on my CD's.

Who cares though Microsoft Zune in such a peice of crap, I won one last year at a office party and litteraly turned it down. When asked why, I simply said my wife bought one for my step-daughter on Christmas and she and I both cried it wasn't an iPod, lets just say the thing gives me nightmares sir.