Show File Name Extensions!

jbljbl
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
This file name extension business drives me nuts. All I want is to always be able to see them and to be able to edit them without the stupid finder changing them on me.

I could rant on and on but let me get to my current problem instead: I seem to have created a text file with the file extension .azk which I can not see in the normal finder windows. If I select it and press command-I to get the info dialog box it shows the file name with extension but the hide extension box is checked and it is greyed out so I can't change it. Is there some switch someplace that I can change via the command line or something? Or what might be a good tool (preferably freeware) for fixing a problem like this. In the past, when I have had problems renaming things in the finder I just go to the terminal and rename them using mv, but I tried using mv to rename it "test" and then switch its name back and that didn't seem to change anything.

(Since I am sure someone will ask, I am dealling with a bunch of text files generated by a Windoze program that are only differentiated by their extentions.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Go to Finder preferences and select the "Always show file extensions" checkbox.

I can't tell you why the hide extension checkbox is grayed out in that example. Sorry.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>Go to Finder preferences and select the "Always show file extensions" checkbox.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks!

I had that checked but I guess it must of gotten unchecked when I upgraded or something. That would explain at least some of the weird behavior I've been getting!