Apple TV; Time Capsule; combo

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I really want a Time Capsule and I'm also thinking about an Apple TV.

I think it makes sense to market a combo device that could also serve as a home media server.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 10
    alexluftalexluft Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by briang5000 View Post


    I really want a Time Capsule and I'm also thinking about an Apple TV.

    I think it makes sense to market a combo device that could also serve as a home media server.



    I second your "want"! I think the two devices can go hand-in-hand. What I'm looking for is a device that's the size of the AppleTV with a lot more storage. One that can back up all my computers on the network and do what Time Capsule does, but also gives me the ability to hook it up to my big screen.



    I already have a router, so that part doesn't need to be included. Either that or make the Apple TV be able to stream backed-up content from Time Capsule.



    This would solve the "not at home" problem about which I wrote at great length before here.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,934member
    Don't hold your breath.....
  • Reply 3 of 10
    alexluftalexluft Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post


    Don't hold your breath.....



    You know, that answer is... how do they say... NOT HERE NOR THERE.



    In the future, it would be useful to the forum and the discussion is you actually stated why you think so. Bring some value to the discussion instead of bullS&*&T.



    I'd say that if this will not be the case, as you state, then it will be because Apple should go in an entirely new direction - one where content is streaming and not being downloaded to the device... which I have written about here as well here.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexluft View Post


    You know, that answer is... how do they say... NOT HERE NOR THERE.



    In the future, it would be useful to the forum and the discussion is you actually stated why you think so. Bring some value to the discussion instead of bullS&*&T.



    I'd say that if this will not be the case, as you state, then it will be because Apple should go in an entirely new direction - one where content is streaming and not being downloaded to the device... which I have written about here as well here.



    Good for you for writing that. I'm guessing you just wanted to brag about how much time you have on your hands. However, I will post what ever the feck I want and if you don't like it, just ignore it!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by briang5000 View Post


    I really want a Time Capsule and I'm also thinking about an Apple TV.

    I think it makes sense to market a combo device that could also serve as a home media server.



    A drawback I see is putting too many eggs in a single basket. If one breaks, they all break. Plus, this means putting a processor and RAM into Time Capsule. As I've mentioned in another thread, morph Apple TV into the mini. Since they are all about the same size, Apple could indeed create the iRack.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t0jC...om=PL&index=55
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mtomto Posts: 16member
    I can see what you are saying and it's a great idea. Yet I'm willing to bet Apple is looking furthur into the future and would be planning on renting space in the clouds to act as a portal to all your media and all your computers, internet hosting for your apps etc etc service. And molding the Apple TV into almost what it is now just with of course superior performance and a behind the scenes integration with the cloud. Cloud computing seams inevitable.

    I can just see Apple selling computers bundled with a "4G Hard Drive" or some clever name and selling you more space off the cloud similar to our current hard drive capacity upgrades. A service that keeps your system always backed up and easily expandable at any time. Making our computers cheeper and giving them better battery life. Well one can only dream.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    mtomto Posts: 16member
    I'm not even sure if this is even possible but if it is. Could Apple set up the software in the Time Capsule to function as a startup disk. So here is what would be ideal. If a Mac fails to boot or cannot find its startup disk, program it to automatically boot from the Time Capsule use it as the startup disk. And program the Time Capsule to fulfill its part in reinstalling Snow Leopard. Apple style, Apple style I mean this would appear transparent to the user. The Mac would appear to boot normally and simply prompt the user and in the background Time Machine along with OS X could rebuild the machine and fix everything.. Furthermore extend the feature to populate any new hard disk installed if a drive crashes for example. Plug the new HD in turn the system on user is prompted Time Capsule sets up the drive and user carries on.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I would like to see the Apple TV add gaming to its list of media options (obviously you'd need a new AppleTV with a hefty graphics card). Just alter the Apple Remote to make it a small and sleek game pad (and add an accelerometer for motion control). The plus side to this is that, just maybe, any games you get for the AppleTV could run in Front Row on the Macs.



    Any takers?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lookoverthere View Post


    I would like to see the Apple TV add gaming to its list of media options (obviously you'd need a new AppleTV with a hefty graphics card). Just alter the Apple Remote to make it a small and sleek game pad (and add an accelerometer for motion control). The plus side to this is that, just maybe, any games you get for the AppleTV could run in Front Row on the Macs.



    Any takers?



    If Apple were to make it so iPhone games could be installed its not a terrible idea. You could use your iPod Touch or iPhone as a controller via wireless. One place where the iPhone is shining is gaming and I only see it growing more and more. This could be the next gen Apple Pippin'.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MTO View Post


    I'm not even sure if this is even possible but if it is. Could Apple set up the software in the Time Capsule to function as a startup disk. So here is what would be ideal. If a Mac fails to boot or cannot find its startup disk, program it to automatically boot from the Time Capsule use it as the startup disk. And program the Time Capsule to fulfill its part in reinstalling Snow Leopard. Apple style, Apple style I mean this would appear transparent to the user. The Mac would appear to boot normally and simply prompt the user and in the background Time Machine along with OS X could rebuild the machine and fix everything.. Furthermore extend the feature to populate any new hard disk installed if a drive crashes for example. Plug the new HD in turn the system on user is prompted Time Capsule sets up the drive and user carries on.



    Snow Leopard is supposed to be able to support image booting. Time Machine backups are stored in image files. Everything is dated when backed up. They would have to make it so you chose a date to boot from. I'm not sure how fast it would be since everything is constantly coming from an image file. It would be a very nice feature addition and make it that much more functional. Maybe in Mac OS 10.7....
Sign In or Register to comment.