Former Apple engineers at OQO call it quits

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    As someone that always had foresight, EE training, string computer background, I am still stumped as to why flash drives are not more common place, where the OS on a chip is, and which company out if all if them, will figure out huge real time compression then expansion, allowing huge amounts if data to pass thru in real time. Whoever dies this, wins a bundle.

Peace.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

By all accounts it was a nice piece of engineering, but if that typ

e of machine can't make it as a Windows device, what chance would it have had in the much, much smaller Mac market?

There's a quote around somewhere from Jobs to the effect that he's just as proud of some of the things Apple has said "no" to as the things Apple has built.

• Reply 42 of 53
    They must be acknowleging the lolmao. That is a bit immature. Anyone that can launch a multi million dollar business can do well and more than most here will ever do. I should be so lucky, one day, I hope and for sure, pray.

The blessing could also come down the road. Even if not cutting edge now, engineers, known discovery, science, can all be used for other ventures. Hope it works out for them, all and me too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Hi thebob, gosh, what a nice way to introduce yourself!

Say, could you do me a favor? Could you point out some of the specific "hateful BS" us "lame cowards" are heaping?

Cause I just reread the thread, and what I see is mostly people saying that the OQO was cool hardware, but too soon, or overpriced, or not really addressing any market need.

That seems like kinda a low bar for "hateful BS", dontcha think?

• Reply 43 of 53
    mechengitmechengit Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

They just didn't have...

...a "Reality Distortion Field" generator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_distortion_field

Not every Apple products that are approved by Steve Jobs are successful in terms of sales, such as the G4 Cube.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

They must be acknowleging the lolmao. That is a bit immature. Anyone that can launch a multi million dollar business can do well and more than most here will ever do. I should be so lucky, one day, I hope and for sure, pray.

The blessing could also come down the road. Even if not cutting edge now, engineers, known discovery, science, can all be used for other ventures. Hope it works out for them, all and me too.

I guess. Probably should have been directed at that one post then, instead of flaming the entire thread/"blog."
  • Reply 45 of 53
    mechengitmechengit Posts: 133member
    The failure of OQO is an example to show that the integration of software UI and hardware has become more and more crucial as technology continues to evolve.

Smartphones have lots of potential and have been around for several years. But why did the smartphone in the US market two years ago began to flourish when iPhone came along ? One main reason was that smartphone designers such as Microsoft continued to cramp the same desktop/laptop UI paradigm to smartphones.

Tablets have lots of potentials and have been around for several years as well. However, Microsoft ruined the Tablet category by cramping Windows XP/Vista and its desktop user interface that were not intended for touchscreen technology at all... making it very awkward to use.

Many smartphones and Tablet PCs have awesome hardware design, but they are ruined by the software UI that were merely modified from the desktop/laptop UI paradigm, which is not suitable for many new technologies such as touchscreen.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    Totally agree. Is as if the os was an afterthought. Nothing worse then picking up a phone or program, for that matter, and have it ruined by the OS. You would think msft would/could take notes even, from their own mobile 6.5 (could there be a worse name?), and look to change win 7 and make it more candy like, similar to mobile 6.5.

Just a thought.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

The failure of OQO is an example to show that the integration of software UI and hardware has become more and more crucial as technology continues to evolve.

Smartphones have lots of potential and have been around for several years. But why did the smartphone in the US market two years ago began to flourish when iPhone came along ? One main reason was that smartphone designers such as Microsoft continued to cramp the same desktop/laptop UI paradigm to smartphones.

Tablets have lots of potentials and have been around for several years as well. However, Microsoft ruined the Tablet category by cramping Windows XP/Vista and its desktop user interface that were not intended for touchscreen technology at all... making it very awkward to use.

Many smartphones and Tablet PCs have awesome hardware design, but they are ruined by the software UI that were merely modified from the desktop/laptop UI paradigm, which is not suitable for many new technologies such as touchscreen.

• Reply 47 of 53
    They looked nice! Too bad they were priced out of most people's range, and well, they ran Windows too, so besides a cool form factor they weren't left with much desirability.

Hopefully someone will buy the company and bring the price down to at least half of what they were, but if you aren't making a profit on something, what's the business sense?
  • Reply 48 of 53
    m2002brianm2002brian Posts: 258member
    That's why Macs have less market share. Why most anybody has never heard a SACD. Why most people will download crappy bitrate videos.

For the people who care. Blu-Ray is awesome, no comparison. I have a 100" 1080p projection screen system(minority) and can obviously tell just how much better uncompressed video can be. Not to mention color saturation is off the wall. BTW a PS3 can do way more than you people are giving it credit for. It's a damn computer.

It's like all you people and your music downloads. I would much rather have SACDs any day. When you care about quality and it shows in your devices (Adcom pre-amp, Onkyo Integra Amp, Magnepan Speakers) you know what crap in = crap out means.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    wengnutwengnut Posts: 1member
    I'm bummed - I really liked the OQO idea and am sad to see it fail. I can see a difference between what the OQO offers and that provided by the netbooks but it was really hard to justify the cost of the device.

I think ultimately the reason they failed was that the did not provide a sufficient amount of unique value to a sufficiently large market to justify the price premium over less expensive options such as traditional laptops. Even Apple would have died in the early to mid nineties if it weren't for a few core market segments mostly in education and graphics design that were willing to pay a premium for Apple products and keeping them alive in the process. Oqo was never apparently able to create that core market that would pay the bills while they designed for broader market segments. Too bad.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebob View Post

I met the guys behind this company and my conclusion was that they are good people trying to do something creative.

So to all the haters: you are lame cowards for heaping scorn on people trying to do something creative and cutting edge.

Maybe the product wasn't right for the market, maybe Apple was right about the market potential -- that doesn't justify the kind of hateful BS I'm reading on this blog.

I hope YOUR business fails and then I can ROFLMAO.

How is making something too tiny to use comfortably and selling it at a doubling to tripling of the price point for an average machine make it creative and cutting edge? The boneheadedly picked engineering tricks over usability and sale-ability. The spigot finally got turned off for them.

They suckered a lot of big $$ silicon valley personalities into the fold as investors. A group not generally known for repeated wealth generating performances. And with the advent of netbooks those investors just realized that the emperor had no clothes, and it was time to stop throwing good money after bad. Happens all the time, every day.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    They tried and failed, but at least they tried. I wonder what the world would be like with more people like them.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    There is no honor in failing because you lacked vision and a clear business plan. Deciding small and way expensive for small's geeky cool factor just wasn't smart. That's just a waste of money. There are plenty of honorable ways to try and fail, but this wasn't one of them.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    primazprimaz Posts: 4member
    It was never about the price. All that a lower price would do is enable a few more geeks and tech lovers to buy another toy. We are talking a full Windows OS personal computer and thus how does everyone generally want to use a full PC? It is with a keyboard not with two fingers. That flaw is why nobody would buy one and why they are gone today.

If they had any business sense they would have realized that the first year when they could not sell many units. They should have scrapped the design and made it a longer clamshell with a good touch type keyboard like the Psion 5mx. That would still be jacket pocket in size but then could enable the millions of general business users whom carry laptops to use that instead.