Where's My Cursor Shadow?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Well, where is it? I'm Running Jaguar and it just isn't there. And can a make an alias without those Gates-esque Shortcut arrows?

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Consider yourself lucky. I have no desire for a mouse shadow, although aliases might be tough to pick out without the arrows...
  • Reply 2 of 18
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    If you don't have Quartz Extreme, you don't have a shadow.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by Logan Cale:

<strong>If you don't have Quartz Extreme, you don't have a shadow.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not true. I have a 32 Mb Radeon on a 2x AGP port.

Quartz Extreme is active (I've checked), but I also have no shadow below my arrow.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Might be a Carbon/Cocoa thing.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    [quote]Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch:

<strong>

Not true. I have a 32 Mb Radeon on a 2x AGP port.

Quartz Extreme is active (I've checked), but I also have no shadow below my arrow.</strong><hr></blockquote>

how do you check if quartz extreme is active exactly?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    well, i like shadows, if it's not a QE thing, might it be an Upgrade vs Clean Install thing?

Andrew
  • Reply 7 of 18
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I believe the cursor shadow is a good indication that QE is active, but not foolproof.

It depends on your graphics card. Some models can do QE, but not the shadow. Or, ahem, vice versa.

OK, OK. I have no idea.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    There was a problem with Quartz Extreme on machines with 2 different video cards when some users reported QE was disabled. I was lucky and I had the shadowed cursor on one display and 2D cursor on the other.

If you have only one video card, possibilities are:

1. You changed the video card after Jagwire installation.

2. You have installed some 3rd party OS modificators.

3. There is a problem with the card's drivers.

4. Some permission problem prevents OS from displaying the right cursor.

There may be other things which just don't come to mind.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    Well I can't see the shadow on my desktop unless I look really close but if the mouse is over a light colored screen i can see it ok.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    The shadowed cursor is a byproduct of whether or not your graphics card can explicitly support shadowed cursors.

It happens that a large amount of these cards also support QE, but not all.

It was only in Jaguar that Apple added support for this feature of some cards into the OS. Thus the misunderstanding that it's somehow related to QE.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Running a PCI 32MB Radeon only on my G4 and I have a shadow under my cursor. Thankfully, it is a bit more elegant than in XP.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Yeah, at one point, I had accidentally installed a driver update that I didn't need, and it disabled graphics acceleration (including QE). Quartz Extreme checker showed my display as not accelerated but I still had a shadow cursor.

So yeah. Your graphics card just doesn't support it.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Hey, where'd my shadow go? Oh wait, its still there. I had completely forgoten about it.

Its been months since i thought about the cursor shadow. I was a bit skeptical but apparently the shadow is so subtle that I don't consciously notice its there. I wonder if I'd notice if it disappeared.

Thoughts?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Just reiterating what has been said here already:

-- Cursor shadows have nothing to do with Quartz Extreme. It is possible to have a shadowed cursor on a video card that Quartz Extreme doesn't support, and likewise, it is possible to have cursors with no shadows on video cards that Quartz Extreme does support

-- It has nothing to do with Carbon vs. Cocoa -- it is a system-wide thing that is dependent on the abilities of your graphics card
  • Reply 15 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>

Dude, take a course in elementary logic. The first statement is 100% true.

"If not A then not B" does not imply "If A then B".</strong><hr></blockquote>

I almost said that, and decided against it. Thanks for pointing it out though.

(Now, by avoiding posting a semi-relevant message, I've instead posted a completely irrelevant one, oh well)
  • Reply 16 of 18
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    [quote]Originally posted by moki:

<strong>Cursor shadows have nothing to do with Quartz Extreme.</strong><hr></blockquote>

:eek: Oops. So I was wrong overgeneralizing things.