play one song

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
it's a simple request. All I want to do is play one song. Why won't iTunes let me do that. Do I have to create a playlist for each single song? Or What?

And while I'm on the subject, why does iTunes insist on screwing up all my music which is nicely divided into different folders and mashing it all up into one huge list.

You know Windows may not be perfect, but there are some things that it just makes SO easy whereas Apple makes it so frustratingly hard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    If you want to play one song, just double-click one or select one and hit the play icon - no need to make a playlist per song.

The reason for the list is to show your collection so you can play through them all at random if you want. They all have categories though and you can enable the browsing options if you go to the view menu and click show browser. You can then narrow down the list by genre, artist or album.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If you want to play one song, just double-click one or select one and hit the play icon - no need to make a playlist per song.

The reason for the list is to show your collection so you can play through them all at random if you want. They all have categories though and you can enable the browsing options if you go to the view menu and click show browser. You can then narrow down the list by genre, artist or album.

I have to disagree. When the selected song is over, iTunes will continue on with the next song. If you just want to hear one song, it is possible to set the play mode, in the lower left, to repeat one. Then only one song will play, but over and over. The other option is do a select all (Command+A) to highlight all your songs, then right click and uncheck selection. Then none of your songs are selected and you can put check marks where you want them. I miss not being able to use Winamp on the Mac. iTunes is not perfect and the old Winamp for OS 9 fit on a floppy. Oh, those were the days. By the way, it is 2009 and this icon needs to go. We all know tobacco is bad.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    There is a work-around that you can use to simulate what you're after, but there is no option that you can enable to do what you ask. Do the following:

1. Select "Show Browser" from the "View" menu (ctrl-b or command-b is the short-cut for this).

2. Browse to the place in your iTunes library where the song is located by selecting the artist and/or album. By doing this you will only see songs in your library that fit the selected categories (for instance, choose Artist = Most Serene Republic, Album = Population).

3. Begin playing the song that you wish to hear (for instance double-click on Solipsism Millionaires).

4. Browse away from the song by selecting a new artist from the browser (for instance, select now Artist = Wolf Parade)

When the song you were playing reaches the end, the music will stop.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

There is a work-around that you can use to simulate what you're after, but there is no option that you can enable to do what you ask. Do the following:

1. Select "Show Browser" from the "View" menu (ctrl-b or command-b is the short-cut for this).

2. Browse to the place in your iTunes library where the song is located by selecting the artist and/or album. By doing this you will only see songs in your library that fit the selected categories (for instance, choose Artist = Most Serene Republic, Album = Population).

3. Begin playing the song that you wish to hear (for instance double-click on Solipsism Millionaires).

4. Browse away from the song by selecting a new artist from the browser (for instance, select now Artist = Wolf Parade)

When the song you were playing reaches the end, the music will stop.

A better workaround is to simply type in all or a defining part of the song name in the search field. If you have more than one song with the name, then also type in all or part of the artist.

Then, immediately, your list is reduced to only the song you want, and when you play it with repeat off, it will stop once it's done.