New MBA or Tablet?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I am currently on vacations and typing this from my good ol' iBook G3 500. Yeah, I know, it's an old and slow machine for today's standards; yet it saved my bacon many times over the years since 2002/3.

Based on the latest rumors that said a new, cheaper MBA would be coming out soon, and the fact that I need to replace this iBook with a new machine, which kind of ultraportable should I wait for in the next 2 months? The updated MBA or the fabled Apple Tablet?

Due to size restrictions on both sides of the spectrum, I want neither MBs/MBPs nor one of those crappy/cramped netbooks; the thinness/lightness of an updated MBA would be ideal, unless a tablet comes out...and yes, I would like at least a 9400M-style GPU in it...so what do you think is more probable and in what timeframe?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

I am currently on vacations and typing this from my good ol' iBook G3 500. Yeah, I know, it's an old and slow machine for today's standards; yet it saved my bacon many times over the years since 2002/3.

Nice to be on vacation. The iBooks where good machines in their day.

Quote:

Based on the latest rumors that said a new, cheaper MBA would be coming out soon, and the fact that I need to replace this iBook with a new machine, which kind of ultraportable should I wait for in the next 2 months? The updated MBA or the fabled Apple Tablet?

That is totally up to you. However I don't ever see any tablet device replacing a notebook. That is something to consider.

As to an update Mac Book Air, well Apple has two choices; either drop the MBA as a failure or address the noted issues with MBA. What are these issues; battery performance, lack of important ports and overall perfomance. As for cheaper well that ought to be easy as the MBA is grossly overpriced.

Quote:

Due to size restrictions on both sides of the spectrum, I want neither MBs/MBPs nor one of those crappy/cramped netbooks; the thinness/lightness of an updated MBA would be ideal, unless a tablet comes out...and yes, I would like at least a 9400M-style GPU in it...so what do you think is more probable and in what timeframe?

As to timeframe why not just wait until after WWDC. See if anything new debuts there.

In anyevent I think you need reconsider the concept that a notebook and a tablet are interchangeable. They really aren't and won't be even if Apple gives a 110% to the new tablets design. I see tablets being focused on different usage patterns than notebooks. Also realize AIR is thin but it isn't small.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 2
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

As to an update Mac Book Air, well Apple has two choices; either drop the MBA as a failure or address the noted issues with MBA. What are these issues; battery performance, lack of important ports and overall perfomance. As for cheaper well that ought to be easy as the MBA is grossly overpriced.

Thanks, Dave; but I don't see the MBA as a failure. It sure is a niche machine, but still the best out there if all you care about is thinness/lightweight with notebook-equivalent power. After all, I really don't need any extra ports on a notebook apart from the occasional USB or video-out; that's how I see someone using a portable and that's how I use it today - by means of wireless connectivity, and NOT as a desktop replacement. Therefore, I still see the MBA as a great travelling Mac for anyone eager to overcome the difficult tradeoff between portability and power.

Quote:

As to timeframe why not just wait until after WWDC. See if anything new debuts there.

In anyevent I think you need reconsider the concept that a notebook and a tablet are interchangeable. They really aren't and won't be even if Apple gives a 110% to the new tablets design. I see tablets being focused on different usage patterns than notebooks. Also realize AIR is thin but it isn't small.

Dave

Let me elaborate a little more on my thoughts, then. I totally agree that this is not a good time for purchasing decisions, considering that WWDC is right out there...but I envisage buying something to replace my iBook without having to resort to a full-blown notebook like the MB or the MBP. In any case, I don't travel that much for work, so I don't need all ports in the world for my needs.

But therein lies the gist of my question: I see the fabled tablet as a POSSIBLE enlarged iPhone that would be capable of offering me enough features to type short messages, work on office docs, play casual games and surf the Net without a full physical keyboard or a minuscule screen, for example.

On the other hand, the thinness and lightness of the MBA are really attractive, as I don't see myself squinting on tiny screens UNLESS input technologies are up to the task; at the same time, I don't feel like paying its full price if I am not a heavy user on the move.

Is Apple going to provide us with the missing link between "tiny/weak" and "bigger/strong"?