Firefox connecting, but not Safari?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I can't get online with Safari, and Mail isn't connecting either. However, Firefox is ok.

This is the case with two different WiFi setups I've tried today. Network diagnostics tells me the network is working ok. When I try to use Safari, it just sits there without progress. I tried restarting, and logging on as another user with the same problem.

What's up?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

I can't get online with Safari, and Mail isn't connecting either. However, Firefox is ok.

This is the case with two different WiFi setups I've tried today. Network diagnostics tells me the network is working ok. When I try to use Safari, it just sits there without progress. I tried restarting, and logging on as another user with the same problem.

What's up?

The problem is obvious: you are using firefox. Uninstall firefox and use safari. Besides, safari is faster, more secure, better interface, etc, etc.

Problem solved.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Tauron: why did you give such bad advice. If you don't know anything, please don't pipe up with uninformed opinions.

jasonfj: Without any more information my best guess is that you have something messed up with your proxy settings. Safari and Mail.app both respect the system proxy settings, but Firefox ignores them altogether. I would check into your proxy settings and when you fix things there that will probably fix things generally.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    talon8472talon8472 Posts: 149member
    This may be a total shot in the dark, but I don't suppose you have Little Snitch installed on your computer? Little Snitch could have accidentally been set to block Safari and Mail.