OS X questions! help

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Ok so I just got a powerbook, and I'm just getting used to OS X its cool and super awesome now when I use it all the time, before I just tinkered with it but now I need to know some things.

1. When I put in a CDRW and burn a cd, how do I add to it or erase it and then rewrite to it again?

2. When I use Mail and do an attachment it always takes me back to the root of the harddrive and it drives me nuts. Also it has a different file window than all the other programs. Any reason?

3. My printer rarely works, I usually have to say print page 'x' thru 'y' for it too print. And well most of the time its unresponsive, Pretty only for Microsoft word, or any other Office app. Everything else is fine.

4. Do I have to rebuild my desktop now or what does one do nowadays to do clean up the system stuff when you use it 24-7, rebuilding desktop used to help me alot.

Other than that I love OS X!!!

if you can help me out I'd love it thanks guys, Keep mac Alive! & Cool!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    [quote]Originally posted by kraig911:

<strong>1. When I put in a CDRW and burn a cd, how do I add to it or erase it and then rewrite to it again?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think you use the Disk Utility located in the Utilities folder with the rest of your Applications. I'm not sure about the details of this though.

[quote]<strong>2. When I use Mail and do an attachment it always takes me back to the root of the harddrive and it drives me nuts. Also it has a different file window than all the other programs. Any reason?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hm, when I try to attach a file, the sheet starts at my home folder. I set this too in my finder prefs, though I doubt that Mail is reading the Finder's preferences. What do you mean by a different file window?

[quote]<strong>3. My printer rarely works, I usually have to say print page 'x' thru 'y' for it too print. And well most of the time its unresponsive, Pretty only for Microsoft word, or any other Office app. Everything else is fine.<hr></blockquote></strong>

Hm, not sure again. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your printer, and check the printer manufacturer's site for the latest and greatest.

[quote]<strong>4. Do I have to rebuild my desktop now or what does one do nowadays to do clean up the system stuff when you use it 24-7, rebuilding desktop used to help me alot.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No need to rebuild the desktop, though your should run the Disk Utility and both verify and repair permissions and the disk itself every so often. If you want to get your hands dirty, you can start up i sigle user mode (command-s) every so often and run "fsck -y" or filesystem check. If you're really daring, you can set unix cron jobs to clean up any temp, cached or other miscellaneous files automatically at a regular time (OS X does this, but you need your computer to be awake at odd hours of the night). You can also download <a href="http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_hill/"; target="_blank">MacJanitor</a> from Brian hill which will run these clean up chores at your request (that is, when you run the application).

I've found that at least 80% of my occasional problems with an OS X application is due to a corrupt application cache. Look for them in your home Library folder, and if something gives you trouble, trash its cache first. After that, preferences can still get corrupted like in OS 9, so every so often, if trashing the cache didn't help, you can delete the app's preferences, also located in your Home Library folder.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    thanks for the help about rebuilding the desktop, I'm going to try that.

I tried the disk utility and it erased the cdrw, but it won't let me write too it, when i try to drag a file too it it just puts a mark through it and says I can't.

I have the latest drivers and everything for my printer, and I was saying that everything works great when printing except with Micosoft Office then everything turns to crap.

thanks for I'm still learning everything.

What does everyone use for SQL clients and whats the best font manager out there for OS X too?