Macbook hard drive capacity change?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
A strange thing happened today. My hard drive on my black Penryn MB was getting full. I checked iStat Pro in my Dashboard and I see my hard drive is reported as only 250 GB (Two volumes 40 GB system and 190 GB Media -actual capacity 230 in non marketing speak).. I'm CERTAIN that I had a 320 GB hard drive. I've had this Mac since December and I'm pretty computer savvy and regularly check on my disks with iStat and Disk Utility (which confirmed 250 GB) so I don't think it's likely that I would have been wrong this whole time. At one point I had a third partition but I deleted it a while ago to expand the Media volume.

Am I just going crazy or is there some sort of weirdness going on that would cause this to happen?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

A strange thing happened today. My hard drive on my black Penryn MB was getting full. I checked iStat Pro in my Dashboard and I see my hard drive is reported as only 250 GB (Two volumes 40 GB system and 190 GB Media -actual capacity 230 in non marketing speak).. I'm CERTAIN that I had a 320 GB hard drive. I've had this Mac since December and I'm pretty computer savvy and regularly check on my disks with iStat and Disk Utility (which confirmed 250 GB) so I don't think it's likely that I would have been wrong this whole time. At one point I had a third partition but I deleted it a while ago to expand the Media volume.

Am I just going crazy or is there some sort of weirdness going on that would cause this to happen?

Well let's just check you're not going crazy first! :-)

Go to Apple menu > About This Mac... > More Info... > Hardware > Serial -ATA and get the Model Number and OEM of your hard drive. Now Google that.

Here's the drive in this old 2002 PB: http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Is that what you paid for from Apple?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    I checked the serial number of the Hitachi drive and it is indeed a 250 GB drive. So unless the serial number somehow is being misreported (probably pretty unlikely but who knows) maybe I was just crazy. Perhaps I saw 230GB (the binary cpacity of the drive) and misread it as 320? I remember the computer was advertised on Craigslist as 320 and of course I checked it, and as I mentioned I monitor the capacity pretty regularly and have even re-partiioned it a few times which is why I'm so baffled that I could have just noticed it now after 6 months of ownership. I can pretty safely say it is not possible someone could have switched the drive.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

If you install windows on a 32 GB partition it will eat 64 GB and hence your problem, why? Because windows always fuucks you twice as much as you expect.