Partition order

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have my hard disk partitioned into five volumes. When Mac OS X came to light, I recall that Mac OS X had to be on your second partition (with Mac OS 9.x on the first partition). Does that still hold true for 10.2? The reason I am asking is that I would like to move 10.2 to my bigger partition which is my third or fourth partition (I am running out of room on my second partition). Please let me know if I can do this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bobwbobw Posts: 49member
    When Mac OS X came to light, I recall that Mac OS X had to be on your second partition (with Mac OS 9.x on the first partition).

Not true. On some of the older models, X had to be installed on the first 8Gb of the volume. First partition could be no larger than 8GB.

On newer machines, X can be installed on any partition or volume, no size limitations.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Newer machines? I have a PowerMac G4 500 (Sawtooth). Am I safe to install Mac OS X on any partition?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I know my Rev C iMac had to have all bootable OSes in the first 6 gigs. I have this funky set up for Linux that finds a way to squeeze all needed partitions into 6 gigs.

I think after the Rev D all Macs were able to boot anywhere on this disk.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by ginopiazza49:

<strong>Newer machines? I have a PowerMac G4 500 (Sawtooth). Am I safe to install Mac OS X on any partition?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sure... by older machine we are talking about beige G3 or the first B&W G3

• Reply 5 of 6
    Thank you to everyone that replied to my post. I was succesful in coping Mac OS X to a new partition using Carbon Copy Clone.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    123123 Posts: 278member
    [quote]Originally posted by ginopiazza49:

<strong> I am asking is that I would like to move 10.2 to my bigger partition which is my third or fourth partition (I am running out of room on my second partition). Please let me know if I can do this.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just keep in mind that data at the beginning of the disk is transferred faster than at the end. For best performance, don't put your system too far into the disk.