Am Deciding Between MacBook Pro 15" and 17" (Advice Needed)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey everyone! I know I am not really that active here, but in the future weeks I will definitely become more of a member in this community! So before I ask y'all for advice, I thought I would introduce myself...

(To give you some background on my computing experiences) Between 2005-2007, I had a Dell XPS Gen 2 (which is a previous version of the Dell XPS M1730). It was a good computer... I loved the screen. At the time it was one of the best. What I didn't like was the 4 harddrive failures that I experienced in the 2 years of owning the computer and the heft of the machine. Just a few months back I purchased a MacBook White 13". It was a great computer, but the screen was too small... so I decided to return it.

I find myself back in the computer market and am heavily researching the MacBook Pro. I love the new unibody MacBook Pros. I find myself going back and forth between the 15 and 17 inch models. Even though they are similiar they are both different too.

For those of you who have either machine would you mind giving me advice on which machine to get? I want a machine that will eventually replace my 4 y/o desk top and it needs to last me for a while.

This really means a lot to me and thank you all in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Screen size is always a personal preference. If you want it to replace your desktop just by an external monitor
  • Reply 2 of 5
    If you intend it to be at al portable buy the 15, the weight difference isnt that much but the size is very noticable when trying to get it into a bag or using it while traveling.

You could also buy an external monitor if you wish for a big screen.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Thank you both for the advice! I am going to watch a few more YouTube reviews of each computer and try to decide!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    17". You don't see to mind a big heavy laptop, but its the most portable in the segment. You're also looking at more power and better battery life.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

17". You don't see to mind a big heavy laptop, but its the most portable in the segment. You're also looking at more power and better battery life.

The 17" is gorgeous. Do the 17" and 15" models have the same speakers? What I mean is... does one model have more powerful speakers than the other, or are they both they same?