Keyboard Layout Question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
There are all these comparably cheap new MacBook Pros and I happen to be looking for a notebook at the moment. I was waiting for a Acer Timeline or the Dell Studio 14z but the new MBP als not that much more expensive. (With the insides I want)

Something that's bothering me is the keyboard. I simply can't find a picture of any other layout but the standard U.S. which I want to avoid since it doesn't have enough keys. Remapping it to german is not really possible.

Currently they only offer

Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide

Backlit Keyboard (Western Spanish) / User's Guide

Backlit Keyboard (French) / User's Guide

Backlit Keyboard (Japanese) / User's Guide

Can anyone show me what the Spanish and French Keyboard looks like.

In theory I could order one from Germany or Great Britain (British Layout would be the next best after the german) but if you look at the prices. If I had to do this I simple won't buy a MBP.

Price difference for the cheap 13" MBP (1200$)

apple.de 1150 € = 1 605,285 US$

apple.com/uk 900 Pfund Sterling = 1 455,03 US$

and if you want 15" or extended warranty 250$ vs 250 € vs 195 GBP they go completely nuts.

There have always been differences but nowhere near this level. Plus I'm in the states for a year so I don't even know if they ship across the ocean.

dusk

PS: I'm not a big fan of OS X so it is pretty much only the price vs. quality why I'd buy one. I don't like the dock as much as the windows taskbar and I like msft office 2007 lot because of the amazing new gui, and the apple version still looks like office 2003. Plus Apple's windows drivers are about as good as those of some budget windows notebooks.

But the price in the states for this piece of technolegy really is something. 860 € vs 1150 € (-25%)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dusk View Post

There are all these comparably cheap new MacBook Pros and I happen to be looking for a notebook at the moment. I was waiting for a Acer Timeline or the Dell Studio 14z but the new MBP als not that much more expensive. (With the insides I want)

Something that's bothering me is the keyboard. I simply can't find a picture of any other layout but the standard U.S. which I want to avoid since it doesn't have enough keys. Remapping it to german is not really possible.

Currently they only offer

Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide

Backlit Keyboard (Western Spanish) / User's Guide

Backlit Keyboard (French) / User's Guide

Backlit Keyboard (Japanese) / User's Guide

Can anyone show me what the Spanish and French Keyboard looks like.

In theory I could order one from Germany or Great Britain (British Layout would be the next best after the german) but if you look at the prices. If I had to do this I simple won't buy a MBP.

Price difference for the cheap 13" MBP (1200$)

apple.de 1150 ? = 1 605,285 US$

apple.com/uk 900 Pfund Sterling = 1 455,03 US$

and if you want 15" or extended warranty 250$ vs 250 ? vs 195 GBP they go completely nuts.

There have always been differences but nowhere near this level. Plus I'm in the states for a year so I don't even know if they ship across the ocean.

dusk

PS: I'm not a big fan of OS X so it is pretty much only the price vs. quality why I'd buy one. I don't like the dock as much as the windows taskbar and I like msft office 2007 lot because of the amazing new gui, and the apple version still looks like office 2003. Plus Apple's windows drivers are about as good as those of some budget windows notebooks.

But the price in the states for this piece of technolegy really is something. 860 ? vs 1150 ? (-25%)

I'm afraid I cannot help you with those two, but I am very interested in people's experiences with the Japanese keyboard, which is a bear to use for us touchtypists in English mode. After years of struggling with romaji input, typing on a regular keyboard to input Japanese going way back to the days of KanjiTalk 1.0, I've loved the OSX integration of the international languages. I am, however, thinking of trading in my MacBook Air (original model) and buying a new MacBook Pro 13" with the Japanese keyboard.

Anyone care to chat about their experiences in Japanese?